Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter frame recommendations

I know we're (hopefully) through the worst of the weather now, but my winter frame is trashed and needs replaced. I'm looking for something with relatively racey geo, but also with space for at least 25mm tyres (ideally 28mm) and guard mounts. No particular preference between alloy or steel (no carbon, though), but bonus points if it has traditional tube shapes and a raw finish. Something like a Cinelli Mash:

//www.cinelli.it/site/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Mash_Work_55fc0cfde45a2.jpg)

Also worth noting that I'm 6'5, so needs to be available in at least a 62.

Does such a frame exist, without going custom (which I can't afford)? Any suggestions much appreciated!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

chrislee99777 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Weather and training demands dictate the properties of a winter bike. Mudguards are its defining feature and wider winter tyres will offer improved comfort and puncture protection.

A winter bike will also typically have two cages, ready to accept two 750ml bottles for long winter rides, powerful lights to widen your window of opportunity for riding, and reliable components, though perhaps heavier than your racing equipment.

gonedownhill | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bob Jackson frames are about £550 off the peg and go up to 64.5cm.

Gasman Jim | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lynskey Sportive Disc?

kitkat | 8 years ago
0 likes

Custom Condor Fratello? https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/audax-commute-touring-bikes

You can get the size & paint job you want for an extra £250 to the regular cost of the bike https://www.condorcycles.com/pages/custom

The.MVP | 8 years ago
0 likes

Maybe consider the Kona Rove? 

Tube shapes are fairly traditional, but perhaps not in the geometry or finish you may be looking for.

Kona do whole bikes in an Aluminium or Cro-Moly frame (up to 59 XL) and Titanium "frame-only" choice.

I have the Rove AL that I use for "wet" winter, it takes guards carriers (if required) and sports mechanical discs. More upright than an all-out race geometry you are looking for though.

Or perhaps the Kona Honky Tonk? Reynolds 520, up to 61cm size?

SteveR5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Why not look at a custom titanium build from China? Great quality and much cheaper than the branded models, which are made in the far east. (Apart from Burls that are made in Russia)

Sniffer | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Racelight T2 last February.  A full bike on C2W.  No complaints and a frame is good value.

My next winter bike will have discs though.

Tjuice | 8 years ago
0 likes

Was going to say the same as Woldsman.  Very well regarded those Kinesis.  If I ever have to replace my winter bike, I would probably look at one of those..

I have a Ribble Audax (7005 Aluminium), but again, that does not meet your finish or tube shapes criterion.  It's fine, and exceptional value, but for some reason, I have never loved it the way I do some of my other bikes.

The Holdsworth bikes may have something that suits from a tube shapes perspective - they're gorgeous - but I don't think they do a raw finish.

Alternatively, have you considered titanium?

Woldsman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Maybe not scoring points for the finish you want or tube shapes, but the Kinesis Racelight T2 (or 4S) might otherwise be worth a look for you. 

Latest Comments