Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Decisions decisions - Rose vs. Eastway (Alu vs. C/ caliper vs. disc)

I'm in the market for a new bike - narrowed the choice down to two;

> Rose Pro-SL 2000

> Eastway Zener D3

(I did also seriously consider a Canyon Endurace 6.0, but the finish isn't to my taste and servicing issues/ delays continue for the time being)

Both bikes come in under the £1,000 mark (altho all the Brexit talk has killed the euro/ £ exchange rate making the Rose the more expensive of the two by about £90)

The Rose is a lovely bike, and I see nothing but good reviews (on their website at least, I've yet to see a major magazine/ website give a full review) with a great spec;

> triple butted aluminium frame/ carbon forks

> full shimano 105 groupset

> mavic asksium wheels

> ritchey components

But then the Eastway is pretty solid too (new bikes so not many reviews about, familiar with wiggle though)

> full carbon frame, w/ TRP Spyre disc brakes

> full shimano tiagra groupset

> shimano RX05 wheels

> ritchey components

Concerns around buying online, etc aside - there are two primary differences between the bikes - aluminium vs. carbon frame & caliper vs. disc brakes.

Carbon vs. Aluminium

I've only ever riden aluminium frames, so any advice on whether an entry level carbon frame would be preferable over a good quality aluminium frame would be great - I know carbon in theory is gentler on the vibrations, but I can't say I've had any real problems with aluminium frames in that regard - will there even be much difference?

Caliper vs. Disc

I have disc brakes on my mountain bike, they're great no issues. I have caliper brakes on my current road bike, again I've no issues. I'm not entirely sold on the need for disc brakes on a road bike as yet - is is just an unecessary complication...?

There's also the tiagra vs. 105 groupset I guess - I really like the new tiagra (really smooth near instant changes) so know I'd be very happy with that - but is the 105 all that difference and worth the extra £ for another gear?

Any advice to help me decide between the two would be very much appreciated!

P.S. I tend towards longer rides, so the slightly more relaxed geomatry on the Eastway has me leaning towards it for now (it also has 28c tyres for a bit extra bounce)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

lolol | 8 years ago
0 likes

PS
I'm 5'11 and got  a 55cm frame, which fits perfectly. The Rose sizing chart is pretty much spot on.

lolol | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have had the Rose since December, I've been really happy with it. Full carbon fork and no substitutions on the groupset. 
I have it as my Winter bike and have the PDW mudguards fitted using P-clips, as the above poster says, the frame is really well finished, a few people in the club have asked me if it was carbon, no visible welds.
It handles really well, I was surprised how well. I have done many 100+ km rides on it and and never questioned the comfort.
Including mudguards mine comes in at just over 9 kilos.

nmanfield | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought the SL-2000 a couple of months ago.  I was looking at a variety of bikes and it was a tos up with the Canyon Endurace aluminium which has similar specs. Delivery (as is well documented) was the issue with the Canyon shipping times being over 6 months.  In conversation with a number of fellow bike nerds I was convinced that a good aluminium frame would be a better option that a cheap carbon one.  The frame is beautifully finished (there are no visible welds so you will not get carbon envy from others if that's your thing) and the carbon fork is excellent  so you dont get road buzz  (not that you would get it on the roads over here).  Full 105 is more than adequate for my needs and works like a dream.  I replaced by saddle and post for the following from wiggle: http://www.wiggle.com/selle-italia-slr-monolink-flow-saddle-and-seat-pos...  - nothing wrong with the set provided as it is now on my winter bike but i like the saddle shape for longer rides as it stops my thighs rubbing (too much information?) . Wheel set is more than good enough.

Delivery was too quick - I ordered whilst I was away on business expecting delivery whilst my wife was away and i could sneak it into my stable replacing the pre-existing black bike. The bike arrived within 4 days and the Mrs was none to impressed -  so ended up costing me a fortune this valentine's day.

Customer service was excellent.  VAT rates in Switzerland are half that of the UK but import taxes and fees can work out as extortionate.  Rose arranged for the German VAT to be removed and Swiss VAT to be paid up front, saving me a significant amount of money.  Delivery costs were very reasonable also.  I cant praise the bike and Rose enough - the bike is more capable than I am and the frame is light and reassuring at speed.  I'm a big lad, and havent felt that I have missed out not having disk brakes .  Oh, and I think that you can fit 28c tyres but you'd have to confirm with Rose as I havent tried this myself.

Hope that helps.  At this price there are so many good bikes out there - I dont get paid in pounds  so the exchange rate isnt an issue for me.  All taxes paid and the bike delivered I paid 1000 Euros for mine - for the spec of the bike: Full 105, excellent and light frame with a quality carbon fork plus Mavic axium rims and tyres and Ritchey cockpit I simply couldnt find better

JohnnyRemo | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Rose is a lovely looking bike. The Eastway on that link is fugly...

Ronald | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have bought from Rose regularly, and their service is second to none. I bought a wheelset once, and made a mistake (6 bolt vs centre lock) in ordering. Free return label provided by them.

Looking at these 2 bikes, I think both are good value, but...

I'd go with the Rose, as it is a more balanced (and 1.3 kilo less), as well as Rose really do stand for delivering a quality product, rather than using 'features' build to a price point.

If you really want Tiagra, the SL-1000 is currently 716, otherwise the same as the 2000?

Latest Comments