Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 11 speed chain quick links

Hello all, sorry if it's been previously discussed, but why are Shimano 11 speed chain quick links like rocking horse poo?

I bought a bike with a Shimano 11 speed chain fitted, and it has no quick link, do new Shimano 11 speed chains come with a quick link?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

fenix | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well they are reused. Maybe KMC tell you not to so you buy more -  but what would go wrong with them really ? 

gonedownhill | 8 years ago
0 likes

So consensus is that KMC 11 speed ones are reusable in practice then? Because their advice is that they are not. 

Nick0 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all, they are listed on chainreaction, but are out of stock. I'm not used to not having a chain that I need a splitter to remove it seems a bit daft that the links are not readily available. I'll get myself a kmc/sram one.

DoctorCrankenstein | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yep KMC all the way, their chains are good too

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
1 like

I use KMC Missing Link on my Dura Ace 9000 11 Speed SIL-TEC chain.  Purr-fect!

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the KMC ones

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Shimano chains come with connecting pins not quick links

Ive used kmc quick links for years on shimano ultegra & dura ace chains

Never had any probs even with the 11 speed ones, i remove them once a month with pliers, clean the chain and resue the quick link

mike the bike replied to kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

kev-s wrote:

Shimano chains come with connecting pins not quick links

Ive used kmc quick links for years on shimano ultegra & dura ace chains

Never had any probs even with the 11 speed ones, i remove them once a month with pliers, clean the chain and resue the quick link

Absolutely.  The KMC link is simple, strong and can be re-used many times.  One of life's little pleasures.

AKH | 8 years ago
0 likes

Haven't they only just been announced? Not sure they're actually available yet.

I use SRAM 11 speed quick links with my Shimano 5800 chain, works fine.

Latest Comments