Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Customise Ultegra Di2

Hi - recently got Di2 on my bike and trying to check I can connect through the PC using the battery charger and junction box. Seems to work and various components go green (briefly) but then I get the message "the connected unit is not supported by the current bike type".  Any ideas how I diagnose further? Thx

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

part_robot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I think the shift speed defaults for road bikes are already the max setting if i recall correctly

kil0ran | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah you need to unplug battery.
Blame years of working in IT Support for that tip!
Have to say other than multishift and shift speed there isn't much customisation for road bikes.

Waltersjonathan | 8 years ago
0 likes

That's great Kil0ran! Managed to download and install this version! Will give it a try over the weekend. I haven't found an "off" switch but assume just need to unplug battery to reset so will try that and then diagnose as you suggest. 

Thanks again all for your help on this!

Jon

kil0ran | 8 years ago
0 likes

V-2-11-1 works for me from http://api.shimano.com/etube/public/data/upload/published/E-tube_Proj_V_...

I'll stick it on OneDrive here

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=DE45D678BB68F7A7!9856&authkey=!ANS...

Couple of things:

What version of Di2 do you have? 10-speed or 11-speed? you can no longer mix 10 and 11-speed components (basically the front mech and rear mech must match). Levers/shifters aren't covered by this (i.e. you can use 10-speed Ultegra levers with 11-speed mechs)

Have you tried switching it off an on again? I've had a similar issue where disconnecting and reconnecting the battery solved it.

Next step I would suggest is to check/upgrade firmware on each component - you can do this with just the standard junction box, you don't need the programmer.

Best way to do this is to disconnect all components bar the one you are upgrading and upgrade one at a time. You can update firmware on all components except the external battery (SM-BTR1). It may be that you just need to reapply the firmware to one component and doing them one at a time is less complicated. Handy to have a spare Di2 cable to do this, particularly if you're cabled internally.

0 likes

I think you may well be right...

part_robot | 8 years ago
0 likes

If all else fails, you may need your LBS to upgrade your Di2 firmware before it will connect reliably. That's what happened to me.

0 likes

Thanks for the comment - that's helpful. I downloaded from the Shimano site. There are two options but only one will actually download .... The smaller file (V-2-2-3). The larger file (V-2-11-1) just hangs. If it's the latter I should use, does anyone have the zip stored in an alternative location I can download it from?

thanks

jon

macrophotofly | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think you might be using an old version of E-tube. You need to go onto the Shimano website and download the latest version rather than keep upgrading the e-Tube in-situ.

There was an old version that worked  "by bike type" but the latest version allows full plug and play regardless of bike "type"

0 likes

Yes, shifts fine so fully working. Plugged my PC into the battery charger into the junction box. etube on the PC appears to be working in so much as it shows a picture of the bike and the various components flash green but my only option available is "Connection Check". When I select this, after a while I get the error message listed and it says to "Remove components other than those listed and retry" ... The list seems to be everything (which as I interpret the grammar implies these are all ok but somewhere there is a rogue component!). 

Its a Tri Bike with shift buttons on the brakes and another set in the aero bar extensions. 

Thanks

jon

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
0 likes

"recently got Di2 on my bike" - Di2 functioning properly [been out riding  & shifting is fine], or install is new and you're checking things out?

"the message "the connected unit is not supported by the current bike type". - Are you seeing this message through Shimano E-tube Project?

Latest Comments