Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lexa SLX vs 2013 Raleigh Capri 3.0

Hello!

I was wondering if anybody has experience with the 2013 Raleigh Capri 3.0. I found it new for $800 in Colorado, and I'll go there in a couple of weeks so I was thinking of trying it. I went to a bike shop nearby and tried the Lexa SLX and it fits me perfectly - way better than the bike that I am currently riding that has a top tube that is a little bit too long for me and forces me in a position that starts hurting pretty soon. The two bikes have similar components (mix of 105 and Tiagra), so I would like to know if anybody can tell me how the frames compare both in terms of shape and quality. The Lexa would be $1500, almost twice the price, and honestly it is a little bit more than I'd like to spend. There is also the Lexa S that is $900 and has Sora components, is a little bit heavier and does not have the isospeed. What would be the best deal for a short commuting (~10miles per day) and weekend bike rides?

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

ru w00dsy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can't advise on the Capri but the wife has a Lexa S.

Its her first road bike, she really enjoys it. We've made a few improvements, the 100 series alpha frame is pretty good and upgradeable over time. Of course the 200 series is better, but if its over budget its over budget.

The Shimano Sora was fine to begin with, but as 105 is so cheap we put 105 on it and also upgraded the wheels, tyres and brake pads. I upgraded the brake pads before we took the bike home, the out of the box brakes we're not good, but £25 spent and we noticed a significant improvement).None of the upgrades were overly expensive and was done when we had the money. (I have Sora on my winter bike and find it absolutely fine but she didn't like the jump between gears, if you are a stronger rider you may be absolutely fine with this)

The next upgrades will be bars and stem, she notices a tad too much road buzz and I'd like to get the weight down to about 8.5kgs for a size 50. Mrs W is approx 5ft 4, she likes a fairly sit up and beg position. Our rides are steady 50 mile rides, Claire likes the fact that the bike isn't overly aggresive and she can sit in the saddle for a good few hours in reasonable comfort.

I'm guessing you have a Trek store fairly local. Have you had a look at a Domane 2.0? Not sure if that is out of your budget or not? Trek sometimes has offers on previous years frames. I know lots of girls who ride the Domane just with a ladies saddle.

Latest Comments