Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dura Ace 9000 C24 or Fulcrum Zeros for 92 Kg rider

I have been riding about four years, have a carbon bike Giant TCR Advanced 1 with Ultegra (10 speed cassette) and want to upgrade my wheels to lighter ones that will help me climb. (I know they are no substitue for putting in the training)

I will be using them for everyday riding as well as 100 mile sportives.

My main question is which would be better for my weight at 92 Kg (14st 6lb).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

frenchescapee | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a set of racing zeros and cannot praise them enough. I also have a pair of pacenti 23s on DA  hubs with which I am not at all impressed, in fact I prefer my £200 ish zondas to the hand-built. 

piemonte | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've got both sets of wheels. There is very little it in, but IMO the C24 might just roll a little better.

Upgrading my wheels made my riding more enjoyable, which meant I went out more and became fitter. Get the ones you like the look of best, they'll act as a great motivational tool:)

I think the C24s are a tad lighter.

I hope that helps

Of course all the comments about training etc are correct, buy the wheels and enjoy

Sensible | 8 years ago
1 like

Okay...thanks guys. As I said, I know its no substitute for training and part of it is that we all want nice things within our budget. I bought a new BMW recently (and ugraded the wheels) when a car half the price would do the job. I am certainly leaning towards the zeros. Nicer looking than the DA, more hard wearing in the rim and with ceramic bearing. Price is also what I want to spend so it is as much about treating yourself as well as performance. So yes I could buy cheaper heavier wheels, but do I want to...no. You don't have to be Tiger Woods to own a nice set of golf clubs....if you see what I mean.

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

I know they are no substitute for putting in the training

seriously though, they're not. and if i were you i'd sink some money into a proper training plan. 

I did, lost 12kg and took three minutes off my time up some of the hills round here.

Ain't no wheels going to give you that kind of gain.

If you must, though, I'd get the zeros and run them tubeless  1

Carton | 8 years ago
2 likes

I'm a bit heavier than you and a crap climber but I do tend to hit the hills early and often when I actually get out and ride. You surely know this, but as you asked about heavier wheels I'll add some crude numbers: Climbing performance is all about power/weight, and 100g/100kg should make you heuristically (don't extrapolate this out) about 1/1000th faster (that's almost a full second on your average 15 minute climb). Climbing with lighter wheels does feel "punchier" for me somehow, and though that's almost entirely psychological, it's nice, in the way riding with nicer kit often feels nicer. And gets many of us to ride  more often. And then you get fitter. And then you get faster. And then you decide you need nicer kit...

I have no personal experience with either wheelset, but I've shied away from Shimano wheels since I'm a set-it-and-forget-it sort of person. The guy who suggested the Fulcrum Racing 3's seems to know what he's talking about. The Hunt wheels by all accounts also seem like a good deal.

zedbedboy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Or how about these from the Uk. <Cough!>

http://tuwheels.co.uk/product/38mm-deep-carbon-tubular-wheelset/

Don't buy from France - their wheels aren't round enough!!

ru w00dsy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Being honest, neither of them are bad wheels. As from a performance perspective they are going to be pretty much the same I'd just get the one you prefer the look of. In terms of looks its the Fulcrums for me. I've rode the DA24's quite a lot, pretty good wheels, no issues what so ever, rode worse, rode better. I did find the DA24's one of the easier wheels to mount tubeless tyres to. I'm fairly cack handed so being able to put take the tyre off in an emergency and put a tube in is an important factor for me.

As I'm sure you already know, neither of them will make hills any easier. You may shave a tad off your Strava PB's but it won't be a major difference, the hills will still hurt.

BendorTheRobot's suggestion of Hunt Wheels could be worth a look, most showing as delivery lead time might be a deal breaker though. £280 for a pair of sub 1600g wheels or £400 for a sub 1500g pair.... being budget minded I'd be mighty tempted! Getting them to build them up and pop the Tubeless Schwalbe One still comes well within budget. 100kgs upper recommended weight.

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd buy these if I had the cash:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roues-carbone-38mm-1150g-la-paire-Superlight-38mm-carbon-wheelset-1150g-/172104966926

Suitable (depending on spoke numbers) for up to 95kg.

bobbinogs replied to matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

I'd buy these if I had the cash:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roues-carbone-38mm-1150g-la-paire-Superlight-38mm-carbon-wheelset-1150g-/172104966926

Suitable (depending on spoke numbers) for up to 95kg.

OK, so that is what you would buy.  However, do you not think that with a weight limit of 95kg, the OP with weight of 92kg is kind of close to the limit??

matthewn5 replied to bobbinogs | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bobbinogs wrote:

OK, so that is what you would buy.  However, do you not think that with a weight limit of 95kg, the OP with weight of 92kg is kind of close to the limit??

No, it's within the limit, isn't it. Limits include a factor of safety. They'll be safe for the OP at 92kg because they have a 95kg limit.

Nixster | 8 years ago
0 likes

No experience of the Fulcrum wheels but I have RS80 C24s which have similar rim and spokes to the DA wheels but steel rather than titanium freehub. 

I used to be a fan of the loose bearings of the Shimano wheels because I like fiddling with bike mechanicals but I am going off that view due to corrosion of the cones and freehub cup on the rear hub.  Replacement for that lot £60+ (lots more than that for a Ti freehub) whereas new cartridge bearings would be half that or less, so more practical if year-round wheels.  That would suggest the Fulcrums but they also have low spoke count which at 90kg might be something to avoid.

Custom (or semi-custom) wheels e.g. Pacenti SL23 Mk2 on Bitex hubs (or fancier hubs e.g. Tune if you're feeling flush), C X-ray spokes  would be where I would invest if I were in your boat.  Most wheel builders wouldn't put fewer than 20 spokes in a front wheel, 24 rear and some would say more than that.  JRA have a 'Jawbone' set which would be in budget and not much heavier than the two wheels you quote for similar or slightly less money and a 'Jawbone Lite' set which are both lighter and cheaper.

Sensible | 8 years ago
0 likes

Okay have three holidays aboard booked for this year, so don't need another. I do need a new set of wheels because my current ones are wearing out at the rims. What wheels would you buy then. ...real heavy ones as Iit won't make any difference?

HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

More expensive wheels won't help you climb faster. Losing weight will though.

But is it all worth it? As long as you're getting the miles in and are quite happy then surely that's the main thing. If I had the best part of £600 I'd spend it on a flight to somewhere warm, with nice roads, agreeable drivers and decent nosh.

All the best  3

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Try Fulcrum Racing 3. Steel spokes so they're a much livelier wheel than the Zeros with their dull alloy spokes. And save a couple of hundred quid while you do it.

Whisper it, but the zeros are only a couple of ounces lighter, whatever they claim.

bendertherobot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Worth looking, at the moment, at Hunt Wheels. Specifically the Aero ones. Good price, serviceable, well built, light. 

nopants | 8 years ago
1 like

It's worth thinking about how much you are prepared to look after them. In my experience you need to check & regrease shimano hubs fairly regularly. If water gets in and you don't catch it in good time you can end up with rusty bearings, and - far worse - rusty & pitted races. This means you hub is trashed, and it may not be worth rebuilding the wheel. If you trash the fulcrum bearings you can just pop in a new set and off you go. (Bitter experience...)

bobbinogs | 8 years ago
3 likes

Okey doke. Well, I hate to say it but neither of those wheels will really help you to climb. Let's face it, you are talking about a few hundred grams when your total package going up a hill is currently close to 110kg. Also you do need to factor in that weight and, for me, you are well outside the pro-look low spoke count options. Then factor in the fact you ride every day which will wear out those milled rims in a relatively quick time. ..at which point you get to bin the whole wheel despite about 20 years worth of riding left in the DA hubs.
Only choice for me would be which hand built option. ..and I would plump for something like H+ Archetype on DA. About 1650g and last you for years. Won't really help you climbing but won't hold you back either. You already know how to improve climbing, lose weight and train.

Sensible | 8 years ago
0 likes

Budget....those two wheelsets mentioned (£570 ish)
Current wheels Giant P-SL1 ..1775g which are wearing out in the rims and will need replacing. I have had problems with the rear hub which is DT Swiss but a cheap version 2 pawl And not the best.
Weight is fairly stable. I have been lighter and may lose a bit more as summer approaches probably 90kg. Lightest I have been is 86kg..can't see me getting there again though.
Sensible answers please.

wycombewheeler replied to Sensible | 8 years ago
0 likes
Sensible wrote:

Budget....those two wheelsets mentioned (£570 ish)
Current wheels Giant P-SL1 ..1775g which are wearing out in the rims and will need replacing. I have had problems with the rear hub which is DT Swiss but a cheap version 2 pawl And not the best.
Weight is fairly stable. I have been lighter and may lose a bit more as summer approaches probably 90kg. Lightest I have been is 86kg..can't see me getting there again though.
Sensible answers please.

You could get campagnolo bullets for not much more. At 1750g they won't help climbing much, but the impact on the flat could be much greater

bobbinogs | 8 years ago
0 likes

To get a decent answer the OP needs to advise of his budget, his current wheels, whether his weight is now stable (no easy gains left) and whether he wants a sensible answer or just a bit of pro level bling.

kildafornia | 8 years ago
0 likes

Fulcrum for me - ceramic hub, 2-way fit,  and gorgeous, although that's subjective. I'm 90kg and have Fulcrum 1's and Fulcrum 7's (also Vision Metron 40's). DA & Fulcrum are both awesome wheels, both proven on the pro peleton, and your weight would only be an issue if you gained a stone. 

Latest Comments