Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campagnolo cassette help please

I've just put a new genuine Veloce cassette and KMC chain to me Merckx.  I took care to keep the cassette components in order and I've adjusted the cable so that the bottom cog is selecting properly .  The problem is that some of the other gears don't seem to be properly adjusted.

This is not the first time I've fitted a new cassette but all the others were Shimano and I'm worried that I haven't lined up the spacers correctly - it all seems to fit on ok and is largely good apart from the problem above

How sensitive is Campag to lock ring torque settings?  ( Shimano is not but has less separate components)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dr L

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Dr Livingstone | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sorted!

Matthewn5 hit the nail on the head. When adjusting my rear mech the cable came out and I didn't replace it correctly. as he said it messed up the indexing, now it is correctly under the mech everything works fine.

Thanks again to all of you - my understanding of Campagnolo continues to grow.

Regards

Dr L

Dr Livingstone | 8 years ago
1 like

Thanks for all the replies.  I have yet to check out artm's link but will have a go tomorrow.

Windydog, I'm changing like for like so don't think that there should be any differences in indexing.

Youngoldbloke - no I'm pure Campag

Therevokid - I was careful to leave the spacers in the same order as in the packaging

Matthewn5 good points will check - have always adjusted on the bottom cog with Shimano

Rapha Nadal - haven't changed the cable

Again, thanks for all your input and I'll keep you posted as to how it works out

Rapha Nadal | 8 years ago
0 likes

How have you routed the cable in the shifter as there 2 ways?  You can either run it around the back of the bar, which I've found always causes index issues, or there's an option to loop it round the front with the brake cable.

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Is your cable on the underside of the anchor bolt on the rear mech? If it's on the top, that will change the pull ratio and put the indexing out.

If it's ok:

Adjust top and bottom limit screws.

Make sure cable is tight and stretched and isn't sticking.

Adjust to line up perfectly with the 3rd smallest cog. Then with the bike on a stand check that all cogs index properly. Adjust 1/4 turn at a time.

The spacing of the smallest two cogs is slightly different, because the cable goes slacker at this point. At least on 11 speed.

therevokid | 8 years ago
0 likes

watch the spacers ... veloce 10 ones are not all the same size !!

youngoldbloke | 8 years ago
0 likes

Is the rest of your drivetrain Shimano?

Windydog | 8 years ago
0 likes

Similar issue here Dr L.  I've just had to work around.

When I swap wheels I get indexing issues, and noise, even though the Campag 10 sp cassettes are spaced right.  One is 11-23 Record with many metal spacers, the other 13-29 Veloce with plastic spacers though.  

Easily sorted by resetting the cable and re-indexing the rear mech, but a nuisance.  Not found any benefit of torqueing up the lock ring tighter or looser.

I've got a willing ear for anyone else's input.

artm | 8 years ago
0 likes

Check out this link (at bottom) to make sure you have the spacers in correctly- most likely the problem:http://branfordbike.com/articles/cassettes-and-cogs-pg60.htm

Latest Comments