Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

BBC Article on speeding

(Edit 28/02 - put my text into the summary box...)

Yep - clearly cyclists are the scourge of the roads 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35654611

Quote:

More than 2,000 motorists in the UK were caught by police speeding at more than 100mph in the last year.

The highest speed recorded was 156mph on the A1(M) in Cambridgeshire in March - more than twice the national limit. A footballer was fined £1,400 and given a six-month ban for that offence after being stopped in his BMW M4 Coupe.

Three forces - Greater Manchester, Kent and Thames Valley - did not supply any information while others only provided some of the requested details.  But the responses showed at least 2,169 traffic reports were filed by UK police forces against motorists - most in cars but some on motorbikes - travelling at more than 100mph.

Speeding driver's explanation

Richard from south-west England was fined £150 and had six points put on his driving licence after being caught driving at 103mph.

"I knew I was over the limit," he says. "I didn't know I was over 100mph.

"Modern cars are so isolated and insulated it's sometimes difficult to tell, and you can't watch the speedo every second. There are fatal consequences sometimes.

"Yes, in hindsight it's irresponsible - but conditions for driving were pretty much perfect. Clear sunny day, dry roads, good visibility, light to medium traffic, there was no perceived danger to my eyes at the time.

"But yes, I was over 100mph. Modern cars are very safety engineered but nothing's going to stop two ton of vehicle at that speed very quickly. It's made me more aware and I use cruise control now much more to keep a check on speeds."

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

mrmo | 8 years ago
1 like

i'll go with this one,

Quote:

Richard from south-west England was fined £150 and had six points put on his driving licence after being caught driving at 103mph.

"Modern cars are so isolated and insulated it's sometimes difficult to tell, and you can't watch the speedo every second. There are fatal consequences sometimes.

"Yes, in hindsight it's irresponsible - but conditions for driving were pretty much perfect. Clear sunny day, dry roads, good visibility, light to medium traffic, there was no perceived danger to my eyes at the time.

"But yes, I was over 100mph. Modern cars are very safety engineered but nothing's going to stop two ton of vehicle at that speed very quickly. It's made me more aware and I use cruise control now much more to keep a check on speeds."

You know you are breaking the law, you know you are speeding, the limit is 70mph and if you aren't aware you shouldn't be driving. it isn't really that hard to keep tabs on your speed, but i suspect he was a rep on the phone at the same time so wasn't actually paying attention. 

aside as to why the blank posts happen, when you post a new topic you have summary and body options, but you don't see the body you see teh summary, you write your post in the summary and f*** all appears when you post!!! 

PhilRuss replied to mrmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

mrmo wrote:

i'll go with this one,

Quote:

[[[[[ Wha--?!  103 mph and he "didn't realise it"?  Time for some cobbles/rumble-strips/sleeping policemen, etc., surely?  Yours sincerely, Roy Al Parks.

You know you are breaking the law, you know you are speeding, the limit is 70mph and if you aren't aware you shouldn't be driving. it isn't really that hard to keep tabs on your speed, but i suspect he was a rep on the phone at the same time so wasn't actually paying attention. 

aside as to why the blank posts happen, when you post a new topic you have summary and body options, but you don't see the body you see teh summary, you write your post in the summary and f*** all appears when you post!!! 

davel | 8 years ago
1 like

Not sure why this happens, but sometimes the comments in the original post don't display. You can read them via 'view source'.

Dnnnnnn | 8 years ago
0 likes

Think there might be something missing here...

Latest Comments