Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paris-Roubaix (help)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Butty | 8 years ago
0 likes

Don't forget lots of syrup waffles for your back pockets.

Fix any jobs that need doing to the bike beforehand. If you've had an annoying bolt/ headset/crank keep coming loose then sort it!

Cobbles will seek them out, no mater how small or insignificant they are and will ensure that you won't finish.

Scowel | 8 years ago
0 likes

Anything specific? Assuming you're talking about riding it here's my two pennies worth :0)

• Use 28mm tyres with latex tubes and some Stan's or similar in them
  • Double up on bar tape or put a liner under some normal stuff. I used the thickest Lizard Skins DSP stuff with gel pads underneath. My hands were still completely battered by the end mind
  • Same with shorts, I wore two pairs, sounds odd and potentially uncomfortable but it really worked.
  • Make sure your water bottle cages grip the bottle nice and tight, or if you're interested in setting up a second hand water bottle shop then bring an enormous rucksack
  • Attack the cobbles like your life depends on it, as soon as you ease up it's like the little bastard cobbles are clawing at your wheels trying to make you grind to a halt, don't let them win! I went way too hard at the start and exploded halfway round, then rested a bit longer at a feed stop and recovered for a strong finish. Sounds nuts but I would wholeheartedly recommend this approach, the first few sectors of pave I rode at full gas and felt like a superhero, if i hadn't done this and played it safe reckon I'd be looking back and regretting it
  • If you are of a religous disposition pray before you get to Arenburg, there really is nothing else like it.
  • Use a bigish gear on the cobbles, it helps lift your bum of the saddle slightly
  • Practice on your road bike on every bit of bumpy terrain you can find over the next few months, although in fairness nothing I rode in the approach compared remotely to the battering the cobbles give you there.
  • Hit the velodrome as hard as you possibly can, if it's clear start accelerating on the approach road as the sweep into the velodrome isn't too tight. Honestly the best finish to a sportive I've ever experienced, get up high on the banking and feel like a superhero again.
  • Drink beer, you've earned it

Latest Comments