Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc-specific wheel required?

This may be a silly question, but if I opt for disc brakes do I have to also specify disc-specific wheels?  I have a set of Kyserium Elite S wheels I bought new about 18 months ago which I'd love to re-use on my new build, but not sure if it's going to be possible.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

wycombewheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

Any non disc hub can not be turned into a disc hub. The rim may be suitable, but why spoil the aesthetics with a brake track if you don't have to?

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

You need hubs that support whatever disc mount standard you've gone for (e.g. centrelock for Shimano).

There are far fewer of the shelf wheels with disc support (unsuprisingly) than not, but there is still a fairly good range of choice depending on your needs.

The big gap for me is deep section aero disc brake wheels (without spending an absolute fortune), there is very little available for under £1000.  At the lower end there is a lot more choice, some common options:

- Hunt wheels (handbuilt UK, well reviewed and options to suit most wallets)

- DTSwiss R23 (I have these, very nice wheels though could be lighter and deeper, but you pays your money)

- Mavics (I read some bad reviews of these mostly focusing on them not being good value, but I've no personal experience)

- Any custom wheel builder

HTH

Latest Comments