Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Kinesiology Tape

Received an email from Groupon this morning for Kinesiology Tape which I thought would come in handy for some.

I have never used or needed it myself so I cannot say if it is any good but it might be OK for some if they need it. yes

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/gg-groupon-goods-global-gmb-h-333325-56?...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Tjuice | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well, it depends what you are using it for as to whether you are getting into the quack territory or not.

As I stated above, I am using it to provide some (clearly fairly light) outward and upward pressure to my kneecap which at present tracks too far inwards and causes me quite severe pain.  The tape being very flexible strapping gives just enough extra support to make a difference, but equally allows me to have the tape on my knee 24/7 without unduly restricting my overall movement. 

I find kinesiology tape sticks really well, does not peel off/roll up under my trousers.  I can shower with it on and it does not come unstuck (despite it getting a good washing with shower gel).  And it doesn't leave a black sticky mess all over my leg when I remove it (as zinc oxide tape generally does).  And the tape can happily stay on for days without needing to be replaced.

All in all, that sounds pretty good to me!

I will readily admit that all the spin about the wavy glue lifting the skin to provide some lymphatic benefits all sounds rather far-fetched!

samcycling | 8 years ago
0 likes

I used and I found helpful.

It dont resolve the problem, but can help during the tape is in body.

Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes

Total quackers

HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
2 likes

The last physio I went to reckons it's pure quack science. The 'lifting' effect that it's supposed to generate will only raise the first few milimeteres of skin and flesh, hardly any use at all. From my own experience with IT Band Syndrome it never made a blind bit of difference.

Trull | 8 years ago
2 likes

I thought that stuff had joined homeopathy and chiropractors in the alternative meds cupboard. 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1836955314000095

JeffBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes

I use the tape for my knee issues a lot.  It is very helpful and definetly helped with the problem I was having.  Hopefully it works for whoever does end up purchasing any, at that price, you might as well try some if you ever thought about it before.

Tjuice | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks!

I bought some from Aldi a few months back, which I have found tremendously helpful for my dodgy knees.

I am sure that I am using it incorrectly (or at the very least, non-optimally), by using it to apply some lateral pressure to push my kneecap gently outwards.  I know this is a bit like strapping without using a non-stretching strapping tape (and hence allowing much freer movement), but it certainly provides me with significant relief from the pain.

Yes, I know, I should probably try yet another physio to see if I can properly get to the bottom of the issue, rather than mucking about with tape as a symptom relief measure... 

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

Last year I had a calf muscle problem and ordered kinesiology tape online.

By the time it arrived the problem had gone, a sort of mail order placebo effect!

Latest Comments