Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carrying spare tub

I'm in the process of acquiring some tubular wheels and wondering what's the best way of carrying a spare tub, given that my Christophe toe straps got misplaced some time ago. 

Any suggestions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Rapha Nadal | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd be interested to know what tubs you're carrying and how you can get them so small if you wouldn't mind sharing?

Scrufftie | 8 years ago
0 likes

I ride on tubs all the time and, whilst I do use sealant, I carry a spare just in case.  Folded up and held together with some strong elastic bands, I just slip it into my back pocket.  I used to mess about strapping it under my saddle but there always seems to be room in my pockets, even with banana, phone, etc.

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

Agreed that a saddle bag may be the best option. On the longest rides I fit two in there plus sealant just in case. Get a bit paranoid about puncturing tubs but thankfully it's a rare occurance.

Rapha Nadal replied to 700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

700c wrote:

Agreed that a saddle bag may be the best option. On the longest rides I fit two in there plus sealant just in case. Get a bit paranoid about puncturing tubs but thankfully it's a rare occurance.

How big is your saddlebag if you're able to fit 2 rolled up tubular tyres & sealant in there?  Are you sure you're not confusing saddlebag with panniers?!

700c replied to Rapha Nadal | 8 years ago
0 likes
Rapha Nadal wrote:

700c wrote:

How big is your saddlebag if you're able to fit 2 rolled up tubular tyres & sealant in there?  Are you sure you're not confusing saddlebag with panniers?!

Lol! bog standard specialized saddle bag. Having checked the contents it's actually 2X tubs plus tools and not the sealant (that goes in pockets)..The point is, belt and braces approach for the longest rides is still compatible with the usual gear you have. No need to carry over your shoulder at least!!

festina | 8 years ago
0 likes

Do you need to carry a spare tub? I used to carry the inflate and fix canisters that work a bit like Stans sealant, not that I ever had to use them. Should fix most punctures. Planet x had some for about £4 so cheaper than a spare tub too and would fit in a jersey pocket.

Nixster replied to festina | 8 years ago
0 likes

festina wrote:

Do you need to carry a spare tub? I used to carry the inflate and fix canisters that work a bit like Stans sealant, not that I ever had to use them. Should fix most punctures. Planet x had some for about £4 so cheaper than a spare tub too and would fit in a jersey pocket.

Good challenge. Pre installed sealant was going to be first line of defence but thought a plan B for long rides and events would be a good idea, hence the spare. A saddle bag might be the way to go as it's pretty bulky for a jersey pocket. 

JeffBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a saddle bag for underneath my seat that I use for all my tools and a spare innertube.  It keeps it all secure and in one place.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

I used to fold mine up and strap it to my tool bottle using double sided velcro

Worked perfectly, even fitted in the bottle cage on its own

Latest Comments