Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

which rims for wet roads?

Currently I have 700c Kinlin Xr200 rim with Shimano 105 brake and Swisstop green pads. I find the braking is good in the dry but not adequate on cold wet roads. I clean my pads and rims often and everything is working as it should.

Are some rims better than others for braking? If so which ones would you suggest? Im not looking for a deep aero rim, just something fairly lightweight that brakes well.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I'm going disk brakes next time I get a new bike, probably in 5 years time!

Nixster | 8 years ago
0 likes

Disc rims?

seriously though, I only have 2 suggestions, consider toeing in the pads so they 'wipe' the rims before the rest of the pad makes contact and secondly the exalith textured rims that Mavic make. 

Braking in the wet is always going to be worse, perhaps just make allowances?

bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes

yup as it says in my OP Im already using the greens, but useful confirmation never the less ta

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Swissstop green, aka "SwissStop RacePro GHP II" if you're Googling. They're kind on alloy rims but it also pays to wipe the rims down with a tissue every time you get that brake pad slurry on them. And clean the pads with a nail file to get bits of alloy/glass out.

If you really want to improve 'bite', give the rims a quick wipe with vinegar after the above. But not too often!

StraelGuy | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you've never tried Swiss Stop green pads before, give them a try. They're expensive but seriously good.

Sniffer | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd look at my pads before rims if I was already using standard alloy rims.

bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Some of you are missing the point but I appreciate your replies anyway, I'm not skidding dur to lack of contact with the road, just not slowing due to lack of brake friction.
Point taken regarding just going a bit slower and more carefully, I have been cycling for about 20 years, however I don't know much about rim material and braking power.

edster99 | 8 years ago
0 likes

yeah - no special rims. Decent brake pads - but you have those anyway, right?  Keep rims and pads clean, and keep your tyres mildly soft, and you are ready for action!

JeffBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes

You don't need any special rims for riding on wet roads, as stated above, you just need to take a little air out of the tire, and just be more careful then on dry roads.

Al__S | 8 years ago
1 like

The same ones you use on dry roads with a little more care?

Jacobi replied to Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes

Al__S wrote:

The same ones you use on dry roads with a little more care?

... and with a little less air

Latest Comments