Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Checking Bike Ownership

If you purchase a bike and want to check ownership - can you without original receipt.

I ask as I have picked up a real bargain on ebay and want to run serial number checks etc. before I try to register it myself on BikeRegister (which I use for other bikes). I also want to register it for insurance.

The bike is 5 years old, but appears new (as the listing said) with only minimal mileage. But I would like to take every step I can to check that it is pukka. What checks can I make, please.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

JeffBrown | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ask the seller if they have registered it before, and if they can't give you a straight answer or proof of regristration, then that sets off a red flag right away to me.  

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Here's some basic checks:

- Bike Register

- Immobilise.com - older site that people used to use

- Has it been tweeted as stolen by @StolenRide or @StolenBikes_UK on twitter?

- Does the seller have a history for it, or is it very vague?

- Does the listing correctly describe the bike in detail, with notes of any modifications made, or does it just say 'Giant bike, with gears' or something like that?

- Is the spelling and grammar correct, or are there spelling mistakes and errors in the advert?

- Background to the photos - is it someone's home, does it look clean and tidy and looked after, or like a mess, in a generic location that's not easily identified?

- Is the seller's town identified on ebay, or does it just say 'uk'?

- Does the buyer offer collection in person from their home, or do they want to exchange it for cash in a back alley?

If all the above is ok, it's probably a proper bargain.

djpalmer32 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Depending on the age of the bike, the bike manufacture might have records.

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Unless it's been registered previously, none.
​I did run a "bargain" through bike register and though it came back not stolen I appreciate it is a very limited check.

Latest Comments