Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

So the ProTour is running again...

...what's the scoop on electronic Dura Ace? we were told the the pros 'loved' it: how many of them are using it in anger?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

Not a Pro Tour team, but as near as dammit - none of the Cervelo Test Team riders were on Di2. They all had Dura Ace 7900 and not all of them were happy with that (although we liked it) on the training bikes (S2s) cos as the mechanic explained the combination of  the 'bar routed cables and the position of the entry points for the S2s internal cable routing made for stickier shifts than they would like.

As to Di2 my guess is that only a handful of top guys will be using it - and only then if they completely trust it. Be interesting to see how many of them are on Campag Super Record as well. 

dave atkinson replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure it'll show up on some TT bikes - that's the only place the technology has an obvious advantage, the reason why many TTers persisted with the Mavic systems: you can put the shifters wherever you want them, and have more than one. Given that a Pro only has to have gears that behave for five hours or so before they're once again in the hands of a professional mechanic, it's difficult to see what the advantage is, really. Might be good on bikes with particularly tortuous cable routing (the S2 has) but most pros will stick to cables i reckon.

Latest Comments