Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Protective gear for road use

Hi all,

I commute on my road bike around 5000 miles a year, in all kind of weather. In last two years, I had several incidents, mostly because completely unexpected and unavoidable events - dog jumped ahead of me, ice on the road on positive temperature, electrical cable without any markings etc. I have several injuries from these incidents, including two broken hip bones which made me to spend a month in bed each.

To avoid future injuries, I am looking to buy body armor gear mostly used by mountain bikes, but I am not sure if such equipment can be used on road bike due to weight and poor air flow.

Can you please suggest me good protective equipment? I would certainly like to use bibs with thigh protection and some kind of body armor. Do you have any experience with Evoc products?

Many thanks in advance,

Marko

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

ianking | 8 years ago
0 likes

Whenever I hit the deck, I wish I was wearing my action pants! Check out something from Forcefield who do moto-cross gear.

How much do the forcefield pants weigh? Do they have the normal saddle style padding? (only come off once so far this winter)

Markopic replied to ianking | 8 years ago
0 likes

ianking wrote:

Whenever I hit the deck, I wish I was wearing my action pants! Check out something from Forcefield who do moto-cross gear.

Thanks for the suggestion, this is what I am looking for.

mikeray718 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps you should read the weather forecast before venturing out with your bike. I have my doubt about any protection material to prevent injuries unless you can find armor suit. I tend to suspend outdoor bike riding during the colder months, but I use an indoor bike trainer to get the same experience. Wishing you speedy recovery from your injuries!

Markopic replied to mikeray718 | 8 years ago
0 likes

mikeray718 wrote:

Perhaps you should read the weather forecast before venturing out with your bike. I have my doubt about any protection material to prevent injuries unless you can find armor suit. I tend to suspend outdoor bike riding during the colder months, but I use an indoor bike trainer to get the same experience. Wishing you speedy recovery from your injuries!

Many thanks for good wishes. I really enjoy riding in the rain and poor weather, but I have had several injuries also on perfectly sunny weather (for example dog jumped right in front of me, causing half broken hip bone).

I would like to protect myself better for any kind of weather, I do not see any reason I should ride my bike completely unprotected (beside gloves and helmet).

robertoegg | 8 years ago
0 likes

Whenever I hit the deck, I wish I was wearing my action pants! Check out something from Forcefield who do moto-cross gear. I wear the action shorts for boarding. you hardly notice they are on (I've taken out the padding from the front thighs and left cocyx, arse cheek and hip pads). Also, they do quite slimline elbow tubes. I'd say that would be the most you need to consider. (as well as some decent gloves and the shh whisper it helmet).

Markopic | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already been using tires that you mention, which are excellent, but they do not help in unexpected situations, such as ice on the road. I have also bought bike with disc brakes for poor weather, but I still do not think that I am protected enough.

I am thinking about getting these bibs: http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1393/hip-vpd-2-0-shorts or Evoc ones, http://www.evocsports.com/protection-wear-bike/crash-pants

arfa | 8 years ago
1 like

Sorry to hear of your woes as it sounds like you have been unlucky.
In terms of gear, I think you would be better off spending your money on thicker width more grippy tyres, eg 28mm gp4000's or 4 seasons as these might help keep you upright and help braking ? I doubt protective gear would cover hips and end up being more of a pain than a benefit. I often see mtb'ers fully clad in armour and whilst it might offer some additional protection, it won't do that much if you hithink a tree at speed.....
Good luck !

Latest Comments