Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

summer of football

So, where do we start?

Tranfers?

Your club? hopes? ambitions? fears?

World Cup?

For me, my team is Tottenham so we have already ahd a hell of a season...great stuff, what now?

Rumours abound that our talisman, Luka Modric will end up at Chelsea for anything up to £30mil, possibly Joe Cole as a replacement for free but with ridiculous wages. Also heard that Micah Richards may be heading our way for £8-£10million as backup to Dawson, Ledders and Woody. My personal thought is perhaps Glen Johnson as a new RB looking for champions leage football.

I expect Robbie Keane (villa-£12m), Jenas (Newcastle-£7m), O-Hara (W-Ham-£5m), Pav (Moscow-£15m) to go so we need another couple of strikers, possibly Dzeko and A.N.Other.

So long as Bale, Lennon and Gomes stay I will be happy.

World cup, Spain to win.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes

I hope not... with that ex-Yeovilite in charge.

I am kind of siding with you nowadays though chippy. Rugby turns me on more than football for the reasons you said.

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

Used to love footy but the egos and behaviour/image of fans and dirty players has pushed many to go elsewhere.

Will the POSH come back up?

0 likes

Has this summer of football done the sport more harm than good?

For the supposed pinnacle of the sport the tournament was proper boring and most teams played not to lose as opposed to win.

With money drying up in the game I can see that a good rugby world cup in 2011 with plenty of tries and competitive action could start a shift.

You are already seening that in union with the Premiership being televised and more money from Sky and ITV (and now ESPN) going into the game.

LondonCalling replied to James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes
jimmythecuckoo wrote:

For the supposed pinnacle of the sport the tournament was proper boring and most teams played not to lose as opposed to win.

I disagree with this statement. Uruguay played to win, until the last minute of the last game!  1

0 likes

Speaking of football though, I have had a book published (and those who read my blog on road.cc will be amazed at that I am sure!!) about our village teams season...

It is only £6 and the proceeds are going towards painting the grandstand.

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/yaxley-fc-yearbook-2010/11263840?p...

0 likes

37  37  37  37  37  37  37  37

When are the Zamaretto Premier Division fixtures our and we can get back to proper football??

//wessexsolutionsinternational.com/images/weymouth_fc.jpg)

Simon_MacMichael | 13 years ago
0 likes

Got Sky HD installed yesterday (more for the Tour de France than the World Cup to be honest), so we watched the game on ITV HD.

As you may have heard, unbelievably, 3 minutes in they cut to an advert, which was quickly pulled, screen stayed blank for a few seconds before returning to the football and England were a goal up.

You might recall last year ITV got criticised for its FA Cup coverage when they missed the only goal of a crucial game after going to an ad by mistake - looks like the gremlins are still there.

Haven't properly introduced ourselves to the new neighbours yet, but I imagine they're now fully aware that the missus - a handy centre back in her day - is American given her reaction to the USA goal  1

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

Dipped in and out of tonight's game - went out for a ride just before it started, nipped out during the first half too… surprisingly quiet, except for blokes in van or mini cabs driving REALLY fast down roads with 30mph limits, patriots obviously.

Listened to it on the radio and watched TV - two different games  1

On TV England played well but were unlucky - let's get behind Robert Green

On R5 England were rubbish, Capello doesn't know what he's doing, and they might as well go home now, just as soon as the Robert Green lynching is finished.

Blackhound | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks to the hand of Thierry Henry my boys are having a summer off;-(

On the domestic front I am quite excited as walking through town the other day I saw Derby County linked with a 'premiership striker' Rooney? Drogba? Torres? Will have to wait and see.

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

Agree with Dave, barely an impressive moment in the Mexico game. Thought leighton baines, carrick and theo walcott looked pretty awful.

Id be happy for ledley not to go, however good he is, because we need him fit (or as close as) next year.

Simon_MacMichael | 13 years ago
0 likes

My country didn't make it  20

But since the missus is from the USA, I have a legitimate reason (for once) to support a team playing the Auld Enemy  3

Clubwise, Fabregas to stay please, a goalkeeper to be recruited from somewhere other than Billy Smart's Circus, and Holland to go out of the World Cup at the earliest possible opportunity with Robin van Persie swathed in cotton wool and bubble wrap (can't be too careful) until that happens.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

Not much going on at reading. we might sign andy griffin. woo hoo.

i'm looking forward to the world cup, although i'm already resigned to the fact that we're back home in the quarters again. we made a dog's breakfast of beating mexico and a better team would have torn that defence to pieces.

demoff | 13 years ago
0 likes

Stopped following it a couple of seasons ago, you may as well call it Skyball these days. Not going to be swept up in the media frenzy of the world cup either.

Tony Farrelly replied to demoff | 13 years ago
0 likes
demoff wrote:

Stopped following it a couple of seasons ago, you may as well call it Skyball these days. Not going to be swept up in the media frenzy of the world cup either.

Would I be right and thinking that Blackpool are your home town team too? You must be pretty immovable if even Ian Holloway can't sweep you away  1

demoff replied to Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly wrote:
demoff wrote:

Would I be right and thinking that Blackpool are your home town team too? You must be pretty immovable if even Ian Holloway can't sweep you away  1

I live down the road from Blackpool in Cleveleys but am actually a scouser.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

is it a wurld coop tis year, not for me this fotbul stuff  4

Latest Comments