Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

wheels - custom build or factory?

Ive had two custom wheel builds by good wheelsmiths, and ridden various factory built wheels both road and MTB.
The custom wheels have been superb, not needing any trueing after many miles, the factory ones usually need a few tweaks but generally work fine too.
So considering value for money, durability and performance, which do you think is the better option?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

have a look at this, typical machinery built for wheel building on mass production scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRYEv2NDdzE

bechdan | 8 years ago
1 like

excellent reply, thanks for the advice

For me buying custom wheels isnt so much the i think its better because its handbuilt, I know a machine cant build a wheel, however I get to research and choose the components rather than having unknown parts.

carrotcakedoesn... | 8 years ago
0 likes

The problem is 99% of people dont really understand what "factory wheels" means. Its funny really because most really cheap wheelsets (destined for your Argos catalogue bikes) are hand built but by hundreds of workers in big factories and to a low standard. As Pete above says, the high end wheelets from Campag, Shimano et al are also hand built, albeit by far superior skilled workers in nice lab type conditions, with stringent QA as per the link below.  If someone can explain to me why the people in the photos in the link below are somehow inferior to the custom build wheel builders here in the UK I'll happily buy them a beer. I think people like the idea of a custom built wheelset as it makes them feel a little different and thats fine, its their money but the reality is for entry level and high end stuff, factory built takes a lot to beat it on price and quality.  

For bespoke stuff, heavy riders, dynamo etc etc the custom built approach is ideal as the wheel builder can discuss your requirements with you but the majority of people just like the idea of wheels buuilt by someone in the UK and are happy to pay any premium for it. The hubs, spokes and rims will be no different to those used in "factory built" wheelsets...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/a-look-inside-shimanos-shrouded-whee...

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Depends on budget.

Usually you'll fair better value for money by buying 'expensive' factory built wheels (most are hand built after a certain price anyway).

I found my Panceti SL23's on Novatec hubs handbuild at a tad over £400 couldn't be beaten for price/weight and I'd like to think performance at the time.

Budget: Factory built Shimano 500's which are just bombproof and can be found for about £50/£70 a pair.

For deeper wheels, price wise, I fancy the Swissside Hadrons which always seem to be on sale at about £8/900 a pair.

Latest Comments