Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultegra Groupset - Disc compatible

Hello chaps - Bit of a novice here looking to build my own bike mainly for a fun and rewarding project but also to learn more about the mechanics of riding (I've been commuting by bike for 7 years and can just about change a puncture and brake pads). I've seen a couple of frames I like, road frames that are disc compatible. I was hoping to add Ultegra or maybe 105 depending on cost. Can anyone tell me - Can I get an Ultegra groupset that is disc brake compatible?? I can't find anything at all so not sure where to start. Thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

. . | 8 years ago
1 like

I don't think any books are needed. You've got a whole internet to read/watch.

http://si.shimano.com is your friend (if you can cope with the slightly Japanese English)

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
1 like

You also have a fantastic opportunity to spec items that actually fit you rather than the standard one size fits all that comes with most pre built bikes. Specifically crank lengths, saddle, handlebar width. Double or compact chainset? Cassette ratios. Enough choices and pseudo science google research to keep you awake at night for weeks. Have fun.

MarcMyWords | 8 years ago
0 likes

Guys - Thank you so much for your advice on this - Guess I'll put an offer in on this frame! If you have any advice on tools / books to go and buy, where to get reasonable parts (even 2nd hand) also greatly welcomed.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes you can

You can buy shimano ultegra groupsets that come with the non series hydraulic brake levers and calipers (rs685 for mech shifting or rs785 for di2 shifting)

I bought mine from

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6800-disc-brake-groupset-83...

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes you can  1

Chain reaction cycles do groupset builder which pretty much covers all items to equip your frame. Merlin cycles also sell many items. Look at the German bike sites, bike24, star.de. They too are competitive on price.

Do your research, buy some tools to do the job properly and enjoy the site of parcels arriving with your next part. I have upgrade several bikes in my family. Now I am building from scratch a full suspension Mtb. Wheels built, tyres, steerer and handlebar have arrived now so will be making up a rolling frame. Then XTR groupset will be internally routed, final piece crankset

graybags | 8 years ago
1 like

You can't buy an Ultegra groupset with disc brakes, you would need to buy the standard caliper set and then mate this with cable operated calipers, not great. I had a road bike built for me recently and the builder managed to put together a groupset set of ultegra Di2 with Shimano hydraulic levers and Shimano hydraulic calipers. At present the hydraulic levers/shifters are not branded as a particular part of the range (ultegra/dura-ace etc), I guess because at present there probably isn't a large enough market to justify it.

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
1 like

Roadcc 2016 complete guide to Shimano road bike groupsets with link to best online price.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/175860-your-complete-guide-shimano-2...

Latest Comments