Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2010 Bristol Belter, anyone doing it?

Hey everyone,

Is anyone doing the Bristol Belter this year? I'm off to France next week for a 470m charity ride (Bristol to Bordeaux in 4 days) but looking into the future this looks like it could be enjoyable.

http://www.bristolbelter.com/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

JonMack | 13 years ago
0 likes

That's the plan  3

JonMack | 13 years ago
0 likes

Oh no I'm well aware it's not, and although I live 10(ish) miles from both those climbs I always avoid them, because I find climbing really, really hard work, even though I'm "built for climbing" (6ft1, 65kg). I'm just saying I need to get some more training in for them, as most of my rides are pretty flat.

vorsprung replied to JonMack | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'm 6"2 and 80Kg

You live 10 miles from those climbs? Do them twice a week as fast as possible and you'll find them easy

Fringe replied to vorsprung | 13 years ago
0 likes
vorsprung wrote:

You live 10 miles from those climbs? Do them twice a week as fast as possible and you'll find them easy

exactly, beat yerself up for a few weeks and after a month they aren't half as 'bad' as they seem at first.. (the Jens Voigt method i think they call it!)

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

Im not debating that! You doing it on a fixie?

Fringe replied to Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes
Jon Burrage wrote:

Im not debating that! You doing it on a fixie?

fixie, nah..(that Old Bristol Road requires two gears at least!). thats if i can get time to do it, seeing as i'm of to do the 'Gridiron 100km' following sunday may have to miss it this year. (mind you i did the 'blackrat' last sunday and thats a fairly similar route)

http://www.wessexctc.org/grdetail.htm

http://www.blackratcycle.co.uk/

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

Dont listen to fringe, he is being cruel for no reason (regarding the road to priddy!)

Yeah I will do it, see you all there!

Fringe replied to Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes
Jon Burrage wrote:

Dont listen to fringe, he is being cruel for no reason (regarding the road to priddy!)

Yeah I will do it, see you all there!

whaddya mean, its a great hill!  4

Zaskar | 13 years ago
0 likes

If I am still in Bristol I might do the classic!

Thanks for heads up. Do places go fast on this sportive?

And good luck on the charity ride!

Fringe replied to Zaskar | 13 years ago
0 likes
Zaskar wrote:

Do places go fast on this sportive?

its the first time its been run. (i think)

JonMack | 13 years ago
0 likes

If anyone ever wants to go for a ride then feel free to drop me a line, I live in Weston super Mare but don't usually ride very far, and i'm always on my own, but i'd love to ride with some other people. I dunno if it's any indication of my ability but I tend to average about 18-19mph at the moment, looking to bring that up to 19-20 over summer.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

i notice its going up the Old Bristol Road north out of Wells, thats yer hill to train on right there...its a good one. and if you feeling really on top form try New Road, Draycott (just off the A371) which takes you up to Priddy.. mmmmmm hills  4

JonMack | 13 years ago
0 likes

I think the guys from my office want to do it, the ones i'm cycling to france with next week, so it's probably a goer for me.

Need to get lots of training in though, I am awful at hills  2

vorsprung replied to JonMack | 13 years ago
0 likes
JonMack wrote:

I think the guys from my office want to do it, the ones i'm cycling to france with next week, so it's probably a goer for me.

Er, no offense meant but 1900 metres climbing in 150km is average for the UK. It isn't a difficult amount of ascent.

The Burrington Combe and Cheddar Gorge climbs are not taxing at all

Jon Burrage replied to vorsprung | 13 years ago
0 likes
vorsprung wrote:
JonMack wrote:

Er, no offense meant but 1900 metres climbing in 150km is average for the UK. It isn't a difficult amount of ascent.

The Burrington Combe and Cheddar Gorge climbs are not taxing at all

Agree that they dont have to be taxing but it all depends on your level of fitness and what type of riding you do. If I started riding especially for somthing like this then Id find it harder than your regular club cyclist would.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

the 'Blackrat' last sunday was a fairly similar route, and after up and over the mendips three times Wrington Hill was a bit of a knee bender..but fun, in a masochistic kinda way.

JonMack | 13 years ago
0 likes

Great! They're all very local to me... guess that means I can get a bit of a training up there the next few months  4

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

yeah i'm probably going to do it, goes up brockley combe, burrington combe and cheddar gorge which are all cracking climbs  1

Latest Comments