Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Norco bike any good?

I'm about to start training for a 250 mile charity ride which will be mostly roads but want a bike which I can ride on rougher paths as well. I stopped cycling about 10 years ago due to a problem with my hip but now have a replacement so am raring to go. I just need a good new bike to go with the new hip. I've been recommended to what looks like a great deal for a Norco Search S2 2015 Adventure Road Bike by a very helpful knowledgeable-sounding guy at Evans.  I'd be very grateful for any feedback on Norco as I haven't come across that make before.  Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Ralph1972 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought an A2 cyclocross bike in the Autumn and have been riding on and off road for 5 months. Very happy with it. Bit heavier than the Cannondale CAADX it replaced, but I wouldn't use it for a hill climb race anyway! Not had the spoke issues as mentioned elsewhere.

deanflyer | 8 years ago
0 likes

I put a post on the other thread you posted on about the S2.

Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just be warned, the wheels are not very strong. My mate bought one, snapped so many spokes , within a month he had to buy a set of aksiums from Chain reaction. Evans were good about it and paid for them! They said chain reaction could get them much faster than they would! Apart from the weak standard wheels, they are great bikes.

bikebot replied to Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

cyclesteffer wrote:

Just be warned, the wheels are not very strong. My mate bought one, snapped so many spokes , within a month he had to buy a set of aksiums from Chain reaction. Evans were good about it and paid for them! They said chain reaction could get them much faster than they would! Apart from the weak standard wheels, they are great bikes.

Yeah, the wheels were my first upgrade, replaced with Kinesis Crosslights.  I didn't have any problems with spokes breaking (and I'm no whippet), and they're now in almost daily use on my self built general purpose run-around.  They're just basic cheap wheels.

John on a Bike replied to bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

bikebot wrote:

cyclesteffer wrote:

Yeah, the wheels were my first upgrade, replaced with Kinesis Crosslights.  I didn't have any problems with spokes breaking (and I'm no whippet), and they're now in almost daily use on my self built general purpose run-around.  They're just basic cheap wheels.

Thanks that's helpful. Just out of interest, did you replace the wheels because the originals were problematic or did you just want to upgrade out of personal choice?  Much appreciated

bikebot replied to John on a Bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

John on a Bike wrote:

Thanks that's helpful. Just out of interest, did you replace the wheels because the originals were problematic or did you just want to upgrade out of personal choice?  Much appreciated

My buying strategy is usually to pick the model towards the low end of any particular range, and then upgrade the components as they wear out or I find a bargain.  That's because in most cases, the frame is the same across a range, it's the groupset and wheels that change.

The wheels weren't problematic, just had one spoke work itself loose from the nipple, so I did it up again! They've stayed fairly true and they're fine on the bike they've been moved over too.   They're also easy to look after, basic cup and cone bearings that just need a regrease and the BBs swapped every spring, traditional bike maintenance that I'm very used to.  It looks like the same or similar wheelset are in use on that Adventure bike (mine was a Threshold).

John on a Bike replied to bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

bikebot]</p>

<p>[quote=John on a Bike wrote:

My buying strategy is usually to pick the model towards the low end of any particular range, and then upgrade the components as they wear out or I find a bargain.  That's because in most cases, the frame is the same across a range, it's the groupset and wheels that change.

The wheels weren't problematic, just had one spoke work itself loose from the nipple, so I did it up again! They've stayed fairly true and they're fine on the bike they've been moved over too.   They're also easy to look after, basic cup and cone bearings that just need a regrease and the BBs swapped every spring, traditional bike maintenance that I'm very used to.  It looks like the same or similar wheelset are in use on that Adventure bike (mine was a Threshold).

Thanks again. That's really helpful

John on a Bike replied to Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

cyclesteffer wrote:

Thanks for feedback. Much appreciated

bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've been very happy with Norco, and although they're not that well known I've come across a few fans whilst riding one.  I understand from a friend who now lives in Canada that they are very well known in their home country, and are popular with commuters.

When Evans have a sale, it often seems to be a Norco of some kind that's the clearance bargain.  Definitely worth taking for a test ride.

Latest Comments