Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Colnago - which one?

i am looking to buy a new bike and have narrowed it down to colnago. I love the c60 but am worried about the weight as I do a lot of climbing so am considering the v1-r. From my research the v1r doesn't seem like it would be so comfortable for long rides and again I do a lot of 4/5 hour rides. What are people's opinions. What would you go for?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

dazzle | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've got both and prefer the c60, weight difference isn't really noticeable, the ride quality on the c60 is far superior to the v1-r much smoother solid feeling, I've got a 52s and I'm 5ft 10 it fits perfect, couldn't be happier apart from the bottom bracket creaking but they've fixed those now haven't they?

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
1 like

As @kev-s says, Colnago sizing is based on the seat tube c-c measurement. So their sloping sizes sound much smaller than they are. Check the geometry charts and try it out before you make an expensive mistake.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

I prefer the look of a sloping frame

for size wise a genreal rule is if your a 58cm in a traditional frame then you would need a Colnago in a 54 sloping

so whatever size you are in a tradtional frame then knock off 4cm to get your Colnago size

If your around 5ft 10in like me then your looking at a 52s or a 54s as at that height your right on the cross over of the two, best bet is to try both sizes and see what feels best for you

Ive got a C60 disc in 54s and a C59 disc in 52s, the 52s feels more compact and nimble, the 54s feels spacious and still feels as nimble as the 52s

I personally went disc because of the improved braking performace over normal brakes on carbon rims, plus your not wearing down expensive wheels everytime you brake

I find i can brake much later and stop quicker than i ever did on carbon rims, the braking is more modular, plenty of feedback, 1 finger braking whilst having the rest of your hand wrapped round the lever whilst on bumpy roads is nice as you dont feel your hand is going to bounce off or be shaken off the lever

I wouldnt ever go back to caliper brakes, ive run discs on mtbs for years so was glad when they started appearing on road bikes

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Weight isn't that important, within a few hundred grams anyway.

Stiffness is what counts. To my surprise I consistenly record faster times on my heavier, stiffer bike than the lightweight rocket.

Get the C60.

Hawkinssmythe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the response Kev. I actually rode one today... awesome!

Next for the sizing... sloping vs traditional. I'm thinking that this is more aethetic than anything else.

My big headache is disc vs traditional. I too was considering the disc option. What made you choose disc? Was it the right decision?

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

I ride a C60 (plus a CLX, M10 and C59 before that)

Yes they are a little heavier than most top end framesets but you are getting a much stronger frame

Colnago's policy is that their frames should exceed the EU crash test standard by 3 times (most Colnago's go beyond this and actually exceed it by 5 times!)

Plus Colnago think that as your paying 3k plus for a frameset it should have the best paint job so they dont skimp on the paint job which adds to the weight

The C60 is made in Italy, the v1-r is made in Taiwan (its nice to say you have a made in Italy frame)

The V1-r is a little lighter and more areodynamic but is ment to be a full on race frame where as the C60 is more of a all day rider

I do 6+ hours rides on my C60 and have always enjoyed it,  If your really concered about weight then dont look at Colnago's

Personally i dont mind the extra weight (my C60 is disc brake so a little more heavier than normal) you just have to pu a bit more effort in on the hills

Latest Comments