Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Wheels

Hi all,

I ride a Wilier GTR full carbon road bike.  I am your average rider that enjoys a Saturday or Sunday morning road ride.  This year I plan on doing a few sportives and have four booked already.

I have been for a little while toying with the idea or upgrading my wheelset.  Currently on there are the standard wheels that came with the bike, Miche GTR 1 (I cant even find these on the internet).

I am not looking at spending absolutely load of money, I was looking in the £300 - £500 bracket.  For this money what would you recommend?

However I saw a brand new set of Campagnolo Scirocco 35 Road Wheelset 2016 for £140 or a set of Campagnolo Zonda Wheelset for £209.  Would you rate either of these for the money or am I better spending more like my orginal budget?  Again if so what wheels would you recommend?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

Zonda's. There is a reason that about a dozen riders in my club use them. In terms of value for money against performance it is difficult to beat them. We (her indoors and myself) have three sets over 5 bikes, although i only use mine for days in the big hills now (usually run carbon rims).

Get them, a cassette and some good 25's. Keep your standard wheels for the winter. Should have about £200 quid left to put towards other bling.  1

Zermattjohn | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have Zondas on my winter/tourer bike, brilliant wheels, resilient, roll lovely and feel very smooth with 25mm tyres. For the speedy bike I have Dura Ace C24's which are fantastic, I saw them for about £500 - 550 recently so top top of your budget but very nice and light. I'm pretty light (60kg) and tend to spend most of my time up in the hills so for me they're perfect- not sure if that's you but if it is I give them a big recommend.

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Zondas to save cash or go get some hand builts, I picked up a pair of Panceti Sl23's with Novatec hubs for £400 from Malcolm at thecycleclinic.

Consider tyres as a major upgrade.. 25mm Tubless Schwalbes Pro Ones is my fav upgrade of late, the SL23's are wide, light and tubeless compatable.

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

Zondas for £209 is a cracking deal

I doubt you could better that in terms of value for money/ performance at that price

I've used them for several years, relegated to winter use now but they're stiff and reasonably light, but propretary spoke/ rim design means you can't replace parts like you could a handbuilt set.

By which I mean, beyond eceonomic repair

Still, at that price, perhaps it doesn't matter as much I suppose.

AKH | 8 years ago
0 likes

Zonda's are often recommended as a good value wheel upgrade. I believe they are some of the lightest wheels in their price bracket from a big brand. They certainly look striking. I'm not sure if I really like the look of them or not, but they would probably be a nice match for an Italian bike like yours, especially if you have a Campgnolo groupset.

What do you want from your new wheels? Personally, I’m a little skeptical that (aero gains aside) wheels change much performance wise. I totally believe they change the subjective experience of riding the bike, but I would say that’s more down to looks, comfort and feel, than because you’re actually going any faster.

With regard to how much of a difference a lighter set of wheels might potentially make, check out this old article from Velonews:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech...

Latest Comments