Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Front derailleur adjustment

Hi guys, having a problem with my Cannondale Synapse 105 disc alloy. I changed my rear tyre and skewer to use on a turbo and seem to have knocked my gears out of alignment. I've lined up the rear wheel and indexed the rear gears ok. However, for some reason I'm getting chain rub on the front derailleur in high chain ring and gear. I've had a go at moving it round and tensioning the wire, but even with the derailleur pulled out to the limit of the spring it's still catching. Any ideas on what I could be missing. Many thanks in advance. 

Ps in case it's not obvious I'm a bit of a newbie!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
0 likes

That's good news. Hopefully the mech explained what he did so you can chalk it up as part of your learning curve. Happy riding.

Duncanchild | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ok, I was obviously not doing things right because a 10 min fiddle by the lbs got everything lined up fine. Nothing to report on actual faults. I've got my home mechanic course lined up for April so will hopefully be able to sort myself in future!

. . | 8 years ago
0 likes

Please come back and let us know what LBS find

0 likes

First up, many thanks for the helpful responses. I spent the whole evening with my steed following online instructions to set it up. The result; worse situation than when I started. Bearing in mind I've signed up for my first sportives this year, am horrendously out of shape and want to get back into training, I've made a 2 step action plan:

1) this time just give in and go to the lbs

2) I've signed myself up for a maintenance course. I'm hoping that some in person instruction may help guide my fat fingers in future!!

I know it's perfectly possible for me to sort, but with limited riding time anyway due to the kids, sometimes it's better to throw money at the problem!!

Again, thanks for the advice, and hope you all have a good weekend riding. 

Duncan

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
0 likes

Here's a good video on How to Adjust Shimano Mechanical Road Front Derailuers. Good luck and let us know how it went.

http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcenter/shimanomechroadfrontderailleur...

Shamblesuk | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would check your H screw isn't stopping the front mech from going all the way to the limit of its travel.

The newest series mechs are notoriously difficult to set-up due to the number of things that all have to work perfectly. I had problems for weeks with DA 9000 but once I got it right, it stayed right. Always. I haven't adjusted the cables or settings in over a year.

0 likes

Thanks for the replies all, will have a tinker tonight. As a quick answer it's the big chain ring/small gear combination that's causing issue, I'm not trying to cross chain. I'll let you know how I get on. 

rnick | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've the 5800 105 and found the front mech a bit of a pain to tune and keep in tune. I just follow the installation instructions precisely and it works OK - just needs doing too often and is sensitive to dirty cables. Generally big ring little cog causes some rub....but I tune to ensure 1st gear works perfectly as it's used more often.

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
0 likes

"getting chain rub on the front derailleur in high chain ring and gear."

What chainring do you mean by "high" - big or small? And to what cassette cog number are you on when chain rub occurs?? If you cross chain - big/big or small/small or to the next available cog your chain will rub the cage plate, along with wearing out your drive train faster. Fill in the details so we can provide a more precise answer to your question.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Firstly check wheel is properly seated and squared up in the dropouts. Mechanical derailleur s tend to suffer a little chain rub when cross chaining. There shouldn't of been any need to adjust the front derailleur with a wheel out job. Electronic derailleur trim their position as you move up and down cassette, so no chain rub.

If you have a bike stand then adjust the front derailleur on the inner (small) ring to give clearance on the easier(big) gears on the cassette. Then ensure the chain moves smoothly onto the big front gear. Adjust the other end stop so that the chain doesn't rub when the chain is on the small gear on the cassette. Repeat process fine tuning for optimum adjustment. Don't cross chain

Latest Comments