Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone ordered from RaceView Cycles in Co. Antrim ?

Hi Everyone,

Was looking to place an online order with RaceView Cycles but was wondering if anyone has feedback, before I go ahead.

thanks,

Bill

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

149 comments

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
6 likes

Somebody looks like a shill in this thread.

GenuineCyclist | 7 years ago
8 likes

Wondering what to do here. Bit of a long story but I'll cut it as short as possible. I ordered an eTap gruppo from RaceViewCycles at the end of December 2016. At the time they seemed to be the only place that had it in stock and with a discount. I emailed them in the first week of January asking for an approximate dispatch date and received no reply. 

Initially I thought they were simply closed, then busy catching up after the holiday period.  On the 12th January I started to worry and tried calling several times, with the line seeming to be dead. I emailed in again, only this time I immediately received the following reply:

12/01/2017

Friend,

The Convention is quickly approaching, and you will have yours. 

Thanks to people like you,

Dave

At first I wasn't sure if it was meant for me, so I shot back asking 'Dave' at RaceView if he had any information about my eTap order. Again no reply. On the 18th I asked my bank, HSBC, to chargeback the debit card transaction. They said I had to exhaust all options with RaceView first then get back to them. 

On the 19th, I spammed called them, literally spam called, first thing in the morning, and again at lunchtime. I have nearly 40 calls to them on that day. Sometimes the line seemed dead. Other times it was as if it had been picked up but... just deadly silent. Occassional 'ticking' in the background. Started creeping me out. 

I emailed again that evening, with a pretty irate email saying that I was charging back my order with the bank if I didn't hear back from him by lunchtime the following day.

When I woke up that morning there was another email, sent at 3.31am

20/01/2017

Friend,

It is done in your name.

Track it and be well.

Jamie

This time I thought they're saying that the order has been dispatched, and that it has tracking. So I went to their website to see it was available in some sort of online account, as I wasn't hoping to get another reply by email. Of course, that wasn't fruitful. Had a bit of a family crisis that day and that had my attention for weeks. Out of the blue however last Saturday (18th Feb) a box from RaceView arrived at my door, by Parcelforce. 

eTap had arrived. Who can be angry on a day like that. Box felt light. Excellent, this gruppo must be incredible. Looking forward to getting this on the frameset.

Then it sank in. The box was actually, ridiculously light.

//onthechancelsteps.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/img_7642.jpg)

I'm in a real spot now. The bank says that RaceView have given them tracking and that I need to file a complaint with the carrier. Until that has exhausted, they can't chargeback the transaction. Really at my wit's end with this freakshow. 

Tommytrucker | 7 years ago
9 likes

This thread. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

biciloco | 7 years ago
3 likes

Man, you guys had some weird experiences with this seller. Peeked back into this thread today since I had just ridden the fork I ordered for the first time and was really impressed with it. I definitely won't be ordering anything else from them. Empty boxes - that's rich. Hope you all get your money refunded. Good luck.

mfeichter | 7 years ago
5 likes

Fuck I thought I was the only one who got an empty box!  FYI, you can shout and scream, you WILL NOT get your money back.  Bastards robbed me of over £600!

enigmahoward | 7 years ago
8 likes

For all you guys who have have been pissed about by race view cycles firstly you have my sympathy.  Secondly, reading all the comments on this thread prompted me to do a bit of digging .  I also had a bad experience and have been pissed about with no order,  noone answereing phones, returning my emails etc.   But I won't bore you with that. i found a way to contact them, seeing as they don't answer their phones anymore.    So here's what I did.

Race view cycles (formally shiny bikes) is part of race view equestrian.  There is no record of race view cycles company information on companies house or anywhere else that I can find. (If anyone else can find it, feel free to correct me on this)  And on their website it says raceview equestrian trading as race view cycles.

So raceview equestrian would be the people to call if raceview cycles aren't answering you..right?

so raceview equestrian was run by this guy Fraser Wilson's wife, Dawn Wilson.  This is all pretty common knowledge right?  

Now it seems Raceview equestrian are hiding from their phone calls and emails too...wonder why that would be?  All sounds pretty dodgy to me?

However when I looked up the company information, suddenly she has resigned as director???  Now we have a new guy as director..his name is a Mr Darren Crawford, who incidently, was a director previously, then resigned, now since March 2017 is suddenly a director again??? Strange eh?  

I read through the bits of info on this guy darren and it turns out he is a photographer, for the Ballymena Guardian!  So, if you can't get them to answer your calls or emails, give the Ballymena Guardian a call on 028 2564 1221 and ask for Mr Crawford, I'm sure he would be delighted to help!

Here's the link with the information in it. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI631676/filing-history

Good luck guys and gals 

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
2 likes

Just because I'm terminally curious: I looked up the domain registrars for shinybikes.com and raceviewcycles.com.

Domain Name: RACEVIEWCYCLES.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1961379673_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Registrar URL: www.enom.com
Updated Date: 2016-07-20T01:20:58.00Z
Creation Date: 2015-09-18T11:35:00.00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-09-18T11:35:00.00Z
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 48
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: 
Registrant Name: DAWN WILSON
Registrant Organization: 
Registrant Street: 6 ESKYLANE ROAD
Registrant City: ANTRIM
Registrant State/Province: ANTRIM
Registrant Postal Code: BT41 2LL
Registrant Country: GB
Registrant Phone: +44.07810873660
Registrant Phone Ext: 
Registrant Fax: 
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: 

Domain Name: SHINYBIKES.COM
Registry Domain ID: 417403879_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.meshdigital.com
Registrar URL: http://www.domainbox.com
Updated Date: 2015-06-10T00:00:00Z
Creation Date: 2006-04-19T00:00:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-04-19T00:00:00Z
Registrar: WEBFUSION LIMITED
Registrar IANA ID: 1515
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: 
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8779770099
Reseller: 123Reg/Webfusion
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: 
Registrant Name: Fraser Wilson
Registrant Organization: Shiny Bikes Ltd
Registrant Street: 6 Eskylane Road
Registrant City: Antrim
Registrant State/Province: 
Registrant Postal Code: BT41 2LL
Registrant Country: GB
Registrant Phone: +44.2825898707
Registrant Phone Ext: 
Registrant Fax Ext: 
Registrant Email: 

So, two legally different companies at the same address.  Nothing to see here, I'm sure they're both perfectly above board.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
5 likes

Psst. enigma, sarcasm detector needs calibrated enlightened

srchar | 7 years ago
7 likes

Name: Yankee John

I know some people have had bad experiences, but I ordered a box of fresh air from Race View cycles - the price was good and it arrived within a week. Just thought I would register to let you folks know they're not all bad.

Not sure what they are like for frames and groupsets but for fresh air I recommend them highly.

teamturbo | 6 years ago
3 likes

I found this thread after I placed my order with Race View Cycles, and I got somewhat paranoid. So I thought I'd share my experience here. 

1. I ordered a Columbus carbon fork on April 5, 2017. The ordered was succsessfully processed and I got an update a few weeks later. 
  2. April 12, 2017 I got a tracking number via Parcleforce. 
  3. April 20, 2017 I received my package in Seattle, WA.

Overall, pretty quick from the UK to the USA. But I did have problems:

First, the packaging was a joke: the carbon fork was wrapped in thin bubble wrap and no structural protection. I was expecting a long slender cardboard box. When I recieved the package the headtube was poking out of the package. Pretty easy to imagine this fork suffering from impact damage. It appears to be OK (and carbon forks are remarkably strong), but why would any merchant take the risk? 

Second, they screwed up my address and forgot to type it out correctly. The package could have gone missing, but luckily the USPS can look up addresses by name + zipcode. I double checked my order and indeed Race View had made the typo.

Lastly, the fork I recieved was not the fork I ordered. Still a Columbus 3k tapered one, just not the one pictured. I ordered a clear gloss 3k fork with red graphics but I recieved a matt black one with white graphics. It's not the end of the world, but it's not what I expected. It's still a great looking fork, and it fits perfectly into my frame. 

The price of the fork was unbeatable - I'll give Race View that. They have the best prices and I think I saved well over $100 by taking a risk with them. Overall, I would think twice about shopping here again because I'd be afraid of a missing package or simply getting something damaged. Oh, and I emailed them my concerns but a week later I have not recieved a response.

I would be happy to shop with them again if they pledged to reform their process. 

Jackinbike | 6 years ago
6 likes

Anyone taking a chance on raceview cycles cos they are cheap pray to the Lord God Almighty that it isn't faulty! I've just spent the last 2 months doing the weirdest refund system known to man, but i did get my refund .... in the end!  Truely don't waste your time.

roadrunner77 | 6 years ago
4 likes

Did anyone else get another person's tracking number?

moorsey72 | 6 years ago
7 likes

Phew! 

I would hereby like to take the opportunity to thank you all for saving me the same frustration/anger/despair most have reported in dealing with these lot.  I was just about to place the order for an athena triple RD (as it's the only place I could find one in silver) but thought it best to Google beforehand.  Regardless to say my search for the holy grail will now continue having dodged this particular pothole, having already had a near miss with Aderto Cycles where I was fortunate enough to use PayPal so got a swift refund.  It's a bloody minefield.

That said, some of the hilarious comments (in adversity no doubt) have been first class. Bravo laugh

canadianmountie | 6 years ago
2 likes

I only ordered one item to try and they sent the wrong one!  Spent 6 weeks chasing them to try and get it sorted.  Gave up and raised a dispute with my credit card.  Avoid them.

rdl | 6 years ago
0 likes

I read the (mostly negative) comments shortly after placing an order with them for a Force 22 gruppo - several hundreds of Euros worth of parts, and was quite worried.

My experience, while not in the "excellent" category, was at least solidly acceptable.

I realized after reading about all the negative experiences that I hadn't gotten a shipping confirmation. I sent an email, got an apologetic reply the next day, and a shipping confirmation right after that. They use a company called Parcel Force, that I'd never heard of. Here in the US they ship to some central warehouse, and then it is passed on to the Post Office, and tracking disappears with the hand over. I left for 3 weeks in Europe after the package shipped, but before it even got to the US, and dreaded coming home to one of these boxes of "Irish air" that I've read about.

Got back yesterday. To my relief, the box wasn't empty, and everything I ordered was there. It's all new, though it looks like each component box was opened and re-taped. The boxes look a bit worse for wear, but all the parts are just fine.

I've had a number of very positive experiences with Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK (with their free shipping often much better prices than I can find in the US on the parts I'm looking for), and would recommend them over Race View, at least until they accumulate a bigger body of positive reviews.

tavvi | 6 years ago
2 likes

SOS - HELP!  

What is the quickest way to know if your Campagnolo Record groupset is fake or legit?

I bought from Raceview and it came 4 weeks late, in a cheap ass envelope and NO box! 

Help!  worried now after reading all these reviews.

BeeBee | 6 years ago
2 likes

After thinking i got the bargain of the century things started to unravel very quickly........after 3weeks of nothing i started to panic, then if found this thread! Then i really started to panic!! 5weeks for my order to arrive and guess what, it was wrong! ffs!! after emails and phone calls going completely ignored i decided not my circus, not my monkey. Flogged the cassette on ebay and ordered through wiggle, if its too good to be true, it is!

flyingpitman | 6 years ago
1 like

Thank goodness for forums.I was just about to order a frame and forks from them.I will steer clear now. 

Looking for a Tifosi CK4 if anyone can recommend a dealer much appreciated.

ktula replied to glennh | 7 years ago
2 likes

glennh wrote:

Had a difficult experience with race view cycles.

My order took many unanswered emails to process and I had to suggest having VISA involved in an online fraud transaction before the company replied. I attempted to call them but their number was not in service. 

The order was explained to be out of stock despite being charged to my credit card and purchased from an in stock description. I had to give an ultimatum of a tracked shipping  reciept for the product or a direct VISA refund. The order then shipped.

My experience took over 2 months and took many difficult emails to conclude. I feel lucky that i did not have to involve VISA in this transaction. 

I emailed John to cancel my order since he had not shipped them last Thursday (8/25). I was just about to contact VISA to dispute this charge when John responded with yet another Parcel Force tracking number. The tracking number only worked after a day and it indicated the parcel was shipped on Thursday, not on Monday as he had promised. I asked John if the parcel was shipped on Monday or Thursday. No response.

Butty replied to JimBob67 | 7 years ago
1 like

JimBob67 wrote:

Placed an order for Campagnolo Zonda C17 wheels with Race View which were considerably cheaper than the regular sites.

Then found this post and started to worry,  thought it would turn into a load of hassle.

I heard nothing for a few days so phoned and spoke to John. He said because of the Xmas break they were behind with sending orders out and that it would be despatched that day (Friday) and I'd receive the wheels Tuesday the following week. They actually arrived a day early on the Monday.

I'm not saying people haven't had problems with Race View but my order went pretty smoothly. Maybe they've got their act together?

I'm not from the USA and yes I've had to join the forum and this is my first post but just thought I'd share my experience.

Are Chicken Cyclekit (shown on box)  related to Raceview? 

srchar replied to MLAPSLEY55 | 7 years ago
5 likes

MLAPSLEY55 wrote:

Last I heard they were in serious trouble and aren't sending out any orders they receive.

I might put an order in for something cheap and see what happens.

biciloco replied to biciloco | 7 years ago
0 likes

biciloco wrote:

Hey everyone!

​First post. And yeah, I joined the forum because I ran across this thread researching Race Way. Basically I'm hunting for a good replacement fork for 1999 Serotta Legend Ti that has a 1" headtube. Here in the states a Ritchey Comp is about the only option - this is not a desireable fork IMO. So I recently discovered the Columbus Minimal, but it is not available in the US.

​So I placed an order with Race Way because they were significantly cheaper than Wiggle and the Race Way item pictured the old "glossy" finish as opposed to the matte finish Wiggle  - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/columbus-minimal-road-forks/. Eventhough it is a coin toss, I want the chance at getting my hands on the shiny one.

​The site isn't bad, I've seen much worse. I have worked for an online cycling retailer in the past and I know first hand that their website has defintely taken some effort - I consider that a good sign. Understandably I was aprehensive because of all the bad reports on various forums. So I sent an email to verify that they indeed had the fork on hand. They replied within hours and confirmed that the item was in-house and would ship the next day. So far I have no cause for alarm.

​I will post again with an update. Happy riding if you can get it. We recieved 4" of snow overnight here in Pennsylvania.

And yeah, I goofed the name. Race View of course.

biciloco replied to Tommytrucker | 7 years ago
0 likes

Tommytrucker wrote:

Lastly, Not sure why everyone hates the shit out of this retailer. Think you missed the part of the ' discussion ' early on where they were threatening legal action against anybody who was raising legitimate issues they had had with said retailer.

So? Why would I care about that? I'm a pro mechanic and I pay wholesale (if anything at all) for virtually everything cycling related. Only reason I used Race View is because I can't get the item I needed here in the US. They were so innexpensive that the price I paid would have been the wholesale price in the US anyway. I will likely never use their services again. Only reason I'm posting here is because you chaps had me spooked that I lost my money placing an order with Race View.

SHAUNAM replied to davel | 7 years ago
6 likes

davel wrote:

Legal action doesn't always mean suing over here.

There are plenty of examples above this post to justify the shit they've got... in this very thread, not too far from people who have registered purely to post once, on this thread, about getting a decent service.

Shiny Bikes didn't have the best reputation either. Join the dots, don't join the dots... but surely you can see why others have joined the dots.

Yep, agreed.

Some people maybe need to read through the whole thread, wish I had before I ordered from them.  

I posted another thread on here called "Are Race View Cycles the worst retailer ever"  after my own bad experience.  My stuff never turned up.  I had to fight with my credit card company to get the money back.  

Was supposed to be a xmas present for me too...still not found a replacement.  I was gutted, then I got angry.  So yep after my own experience and then reading what everyone else had to say, I got even more pissed off.

So yep I can understand why they are hated.  I was shocked at the threats they were making to genuine posters too

I see rumours that they are not sending any more orders out now.  That they are about to go bust, saw it on another bike forum

So read all this thread, read my other thread, plenty of comments on it too, and read other comments on other forums.  Wish I had.

join the dots

srchar replied to GenuineCyclist | 7 years ago
9 likes

GenuineCyclist wrote:

Wondering what to do here.

Really at my wit's end with this freakshow.

Man, that is terrible.  I can't believe they are actually sending out empty boxes so that they can provide proof of delivery to your bank.  Utter c*nts.

The carrier *should* have weighed the parcel when they took it from Race View, so hopefully they will tell you that it was a box of fresh air and you can take that to the bank.

I suppose the clues are there when you look at the map on their Contact Us page...

brooksby replied to Tommytrucker | 7 years ago
8 likes

Tommytrucker wrote:

This thread. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Heh-heh: unlike Race view cycles.  Allegedly.

enigmahoward replied to jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
4 likes

So, two legally different companies at the same address.  Nothing to see here, I'm sure they're both perfectly above board.

[/quote]

I wasn't implying that they weren't both legal.   There is no record on companies house website of raceview cycles.  Raceview cycles trades under raceview equestrian as they can't trade on their own after going bust.

I was giving folks some info so that those who are having trouble getting in touch with race view cycles to find out where their lost orders have gone can actually find someone to talk to about it!  Instead of getting frustrated with not getting calls or emails answered.

Also shiny bikes are no longer, they went bust.  it's race view cycles now so looking up their domain is of no relevance.   Anyone can buy a website after all can't they?

Anyway I was just trying to help you guys out that have had a bad experience like me 

beezus fufoon replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
7 likes

unconstituted wrote:

Psst. enigma, sarcasm detector needs calibrated enlightened

don't order a sarcasm detection calibration tool from raceview though - I did, and all they sent me was an empty box!!!

SHAUNAM replied to roadrunner77 | 6 years ago
5 likes

roadrunner77 wrote:

Did anyone else get another person's tracking number?

Yes! It's their favourite party piece to stall for time and delay your order.  Assholessurprise

mfeichter replied to BeeBee | 6 years ago
1 like

BeeBee wrote:

After thinking i got the bargain of the century things started to unravel very quickly........after 3weeks of nothing i started to panic, then if found this thread! Then i really started to panic!! 5weeks for my order to arrive and guess what, it was wrong! ffs!! after emails and phone calls going completely ignored i decided not my circus, not my monkey. Flogged the cassette on ebay and ordered through wiggle, if its too good to be true, it is!

Circus sums them up completely! Ever looked at the limited company, the two directors have resigned and been reinstated more time than most people change their underwear. Dodgy as fuck

Pages

Latest Comments