Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New gravel bike wheels - Commute - Advice needed

Hello, I'd appreciate some advice in terms of getting new wheels. I've got a Specialized Diverge A1 sport with the original wheels and hubs (AXIS Classic Disc, wide). I ride about 250km a week on a commute from South to West London. The route is all road in winter but when it's dry about 30% is on a gravel path. I weigh about 75kg probably and travel with a pannier and rack which probably has 5kg> of stuff usually.

I have done a few thousand kms since April '15 and the hubs are on their last legs but rims don't have any obvious damage. I have a budget of £400 but preferably less, however I want some wheels that can take the commute for at least the next year and appreciate I may need to splash out. I am lost in the sea of options between factory builds, ordering hand-builts, buying parts separately and getting my LBS to put them together or to try and do it myself.

I'd be grateful for anyone's opinion/pointers/suggestions on which options to take. Thanks.
Dabulamanz

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

bendertherobot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Get some Hunts. The Pro Lite Revo are worth a shout at Wiggle as well. 

Severus | 8 years ago
0 likes

What is the weight of classic wheelset?

DabuDabu | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the advice.  I've decided to go for a hand built DT Swiss 460 rim, DT comp spokes and a DT Swiss 350 hub.  Just seems like their gear lasts forever and is easily servicable.  Has set me back £370 in all but in the long run I reckon it'll save me money and hopefully be a joy to ride.

gunswick | 8 years ago
0 likes

Alex 470 disc rims
Mavic aksium discs
Shimano rs05 discs
All are around £150 and are simple, effective and strong. I use these with 28mm continental gp4 seasons and it is a good combination

Luv2ride | 8 years ago
0 likes

Kinesis CX Disc wheels.  I have the V3's and they've been good, but think they now also do some lighter V4's?  My V3's are@ 1540g, have reasonably wide rims and I run them tubeless with a Stans conversion kit.

ajvb65 | 8 years ago
0 likes

A mate & me both have those Axis wheels on our winter bikes & have lasted less than a year.  I would have liked to replace them with the Hunt wheels but couldn't spend that much so ordered some Cosine wheels from Wiggle. Very happy with them especially considering the price.

ajvb65 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've no experience of them but the Hunt 4 seasons are getting great reviews

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Look at 'just riding along' website from Sheffield. I have just had some custom mtb wheels made with Hope Pro 4 hubs, Stan Flow-ex rims and Sapin ray spokes. They also do road wheels. Quick service reasonable prices

Latest Comments