Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice needed - conti tyres

Whilst installing new tyres I happened to be reading the warning sheet that came with my Continental GP4000S II clincher tires. I will be mounting them on tubless compatible Clinchers rims. Giant aero pslr 0 ones. I usually discard this sheet and just mount the tires. But as this is new bike I wanted to read!

Basically it warns against using latex or lightweight butyl tubes and recommends using rim tape even if there are no spoke holes drilled in the rim bed. Continental claims the rim strip acts an insulating layer and helps to keep the inner tube cool. I am not an engineer but am thinking this is overkill and unnecessary. Any advice grateful as I have installed with no rim tape and used latex tubes everything they said not to!! but as the rim is tubeless compatible there were no holes will I be ok.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

jdryan86@ymail.com | 8 years ago
0 likes

When fitting the new conti tyres I did not install any rim tape and just fitted the tyre and tube staright to the rim. As my rim is tubless compatible there is no spoke holes to worry about and seems to be some sort of blue protective rim tape / strip around the rim bed already.

I took the punt that all I was doing is changing the tyre from 23mm to 25mm knowing that the previous tyres / tubes that came factory fitted were setup in this way that it shouldnt be a problem. I havent ridden yet but seems legit they should run fine.

FerrisBFW | 8 years ago
0 likes

Last summer La Marmotte I was running Fulcrum Zeros, (non-tubeless) conti gp4000 (23mm) in tempartures up to 45 degrees coming down Glandon hitting speeds up to 75k and I had no issues

jdryan86@ymail.com | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice. I will run them and see how I get on cheers 

durrin | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels without spoke holes in the rim bed, they aren't 2-way fit, (so not officially tubeless ready) but I have never had rim tape on them in around 6000km of riding. I'm reasonably sure I have never flatted because of that lack, although admitedly, I have never used them in the mountains, where I might have to brake a lot.

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
0 likes

At the last Ibterbike show I spoke with several tubeless ready rim mfg spokepersons. They seem to agree when tubes are installed on a tubeless ready rim a good idea is to install rim tape to prevent heat buildup on the tube. This occurs when tubes rub ever so slightly against rim metal surface when pedaling. Constant friction will cause tube failure.

As far as not using lightweight butyl tubes, one has to ask why Conti sells 70-76 gram racing tubes. I have mounted 110 g tubes on tubeless rims with 23mm rim tape under Conti 4k S II's. Zero tube failures.

HTH

FMOAB replied to VeloUSA | 8 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

As far as not using lightweight butyl tubes, one has to ask why Conti sells 70-76 gram racing tubes. I have mounted 110 g tubes on tubeless rims with 23mm rim tape under Conti 4k S II's. Zero tube failures.

HTH

70 - 76g is positively lardy in Continental terms.  Their supersonic butyl tubes weigh 50g, I found them to be too delicate even for track use, they gave up around the valve area pretty quickly.

Latest Comments