Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Looking for Assos performance for dhb outlay

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to need to buy another pair of decent bib shorts for my LEJOG next month. At the moment I've got a pair of Assos F1mille s5, which are fantastically comfortable but hit my bank balance way too hard, and a pair of dhb Finchdeans, which were half the price, but are also about half as comfortable on long rides unfortunately. So I'm looking for something that doesn't cost much more than the Finchdeans (£70-ish) but which offer better long-distance comfort levels. Any suggestions? I see Shutt VR are doing Pro bib shorts for £80. Has anyone tried them?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

bobinski | 13 years ago
0 likes

hi, any chance it can work again this weekend??

Martin Thomas | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've now got the Shutt Pro bibs and I have to say they're very nice. I'm waiting til I've done a 100+ miler in them before reviewing them properly but I've now done a 60 in them and they're definitely very comfortable shorts. I'm kind of on the line between L and XL and at first I thought I'd bought the wrong size (I went for large). But I think they're ok after all - I was a bit thrown by the relative shortness of the legs.

Are they as comfy as my Assos shorts? Jury's out til I've done a big ride but I don't think so. Then again, thanks to the CW offer, I did get the Shutts for almost a third of the price so I'm certainly not complaining.

vorsprung | 13 years ago
0 likes

My "best" shorts are Endura FS260 pro bib shorts. These retail at approx 60 quid-ish. The exchange rate means that I am not likely to be buying any Assos in the near future

My commuting shorts are Lusso Coolmax waist shorts. These are approx 30 quid

Under difficult conditions (hot, wet, very long distance) the FS260 are better. But the Lusso Coolmax shorts are perfectly acceptable. istr I did 200 miles one time in them with no problems.

roadiesean | 13 years ago
0 likes

I have to say this is bizarre, when I read the question, I was going to say that IMHO nothing compares with Rapha bibs (even better than Assos) but that I had recently bought a Shutt VR jersey and absolutely loved it, even more than my Assos ones so was going to suggest giving them a try. Having thought all of that and then reading the other "five penneths" on here, thought I should try a pair myself, but it seems that I have missed the CW bargain of the week so may have to pay full fat fee.....anything that can be done here PeteofShutt ?  39

Cheers and happy trails
Sean

TheHatter replied to roadiesean | 13 years ago
0 likes
roadiesean wrote:

I have to say this is bizarre, when I read the question, I was going to say that IMHO nothing compares with Rapha bibs (even better than Assos) but that I had recently bought a Shutt VR jersey and absolutely loved it, even more than my Assos ones so was going to suggest giving them a try. Having thought all of that and then reading the other "five penneths" on here, thought I should try a pair myself, but it seems that I have missed the CW bargain of the week so may have to pay full fat fee.....anything that can be done here PeteofShutt ?  39

Cheers and happy trails
Sean

the code BIB20 was still working yesterday  3

woollee23 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Likewise I'm very pleased with the Shutt VR jerseys and bib shorts I have - the best bits of kit in my wardrobe.

0 likes

At the risk of turning this into a Shutt lovefest, I can certainly vouch for their jerseys. My Continental is far and away the nicest one I own.

JonMack | 13 years ago
0 likes

Well all this Shutt advertising is making me wanna buy a pair or two... however I've got some endura kit on the way and plenty of other bibs in the wardrobe.

Still... birthday in August, let's see if I can convince the parents to get me some  3

neilwheel | 13 years ago
0 likes

A pair of Shutt VR bibs are being put through their paces on an extended Alpine training camp as I write.
They're rapidly becoming the shorts of choice over the Swiss and Italian brands that have also made the trip in the tester's kit bag. As it's been pissing down in Bourg D'Oissans for the best part of a fortnight, they're getting the 'extreme' test version by my intrepid and fearless test pilot.

It's all in the cut, and Shutt VR seem to have cracked it, combining a great fit with top materials and quality manufacturing.

So far, so good...

KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes

I haven't tried the Shutt stuff - it certainly looks lovely, but not sure that even Sportwool would cope with Abu Dhabi.

As another option for the OP I'd suggest Giordana. It isn't DHB price I know but it isn't Assos either and I rate it well above Assos on performance.

The few bits of Assos kit I've bought have not made me wish for more, at any price. Obviously many people rate them but it just doesn't seem to get on with me. My glove liners fell apart in weeks and my bib-knickers are probably the most uncomfortable things I own. (Knickers and glove liners being our concession to winter in Abu Dhabi, for about six weeks.)

I have a nice pair of Assos socks though.

Fringe replied to KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

(Knickers and glove liners being our concession to winter in Abu Dhabi, for about six weeks.)

thats like standard british summer wear round these parts...

KirinChris replied to Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes
Fringe wrote:
abudhabiChris wrote:

(Knickers and glove liners being our concession to winter in Abu Dhabi, for about six weeks.)

thats like standard british summer wear round these parts...

First year I just wore shorts and SS jersey in 'winter'.
Year 2 I wore a gilet to start the ride and used glove liners under mitts.
Year 3 I added knickers, lycra shoe-covers and arm-warmers.

It's summer I find weirdest here. I get up and look out the window, and it is dark - instinctively I think it will be cold and I should have more than shorts and jersey but I know that the overnight minimum will have been >30C.

Mind you there's a local chap who rides with us - and very good he is too - but in winter (we're talking no lower than 12-15 celsius) he is decked out in base layer, jersey, soft-shell, full-finger gloves, tights and heavy shoe covers. And he still complains of being cold.  13

Miggers replied to KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

I haven't tried the Shutt stuff - it certainly looks lovely, but not sure that even Sportwool would cope with Abu Dhabi.

We've had guys in Oz racing in 40deg C heat with no issue... Would love a review from you in Abu Dhabi... email me and I'll see if I can get you a test sample... We would love to take your challenge..

Pete

KirinChris replied to Miggers | 13 years ago
0 likes
Miggers wrote:
abudhabiChris wrote:

We've had guys in Oz racing in 40deg C heat with no issue... Would love a review from you in Abu Dhabi... email me and I'll see if I can get you a test sample... We would love to take your challenge..

Pete

Well it would seem churlish to refuse - I'll PM my details.

I should warn you though, I grew up in Australia (outback NSW and Northern Territory) and if those guys think it is hot then they're great big woosies who would be begging like kittens for a turbo trainer in July in Abu Dhabi.  19

NickInBath | 13 years ago
0 likes

Pete @ Shutt - Having just finished a three hour ride that was lovely in all respects except for the realisation that I've put off buying a new pair of 'best' shorts too long, I think I'll head off to that CW deal as well. If I just mumble quietly that I have a 34" waist and I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam, what size Shutt bibshorts do you think I'd need. Dear God, please don't make it an XL

Miggers replied to NickInBath | 13 years ago
0 likes

Nick - Large, the shoulder straps have enough 'flexibility' for your height.. Pete

0 likes

No flies on you Pete  1 I'm off to check out that CW site... thanks all.

Miggers | 13 years ago
0 likes

If you are a Cycling Weekly online reader I'd suggest looking at their Bargains of the Week for a better deal on our pro bibs...

Pete @ Shutt

PS the pad is from a certain Italian Pad manufacturer if that helps  3

workhard | 13 years ago
0 likes

Shutt VR pro bibs - bloomin' marvelous. A spot of assos shammy creme 'down below', on they go, and 100 mile day rides are... well not bliss, they never are, but a good deal more comfortable.

The pad in the Shutt VR Pro's is that same as used by a well known Swiss manufacturer I'm told.

Go have a chat with 'em on Facebook http://en-gb.facebook.com/ShuttVeloRapide or twitter (@shuttvelorapide)

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

i always find Endura stuff good mid range kit, only problem is the decals always tend to peel off after time and repeated washing, (as it seems with all makes, even Assos i noticed the other day)

Latest Comments