Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

spare road bike wheels

Dear All, 

I have recently been involved in a small accident on my road bike which meant that my front  Ultegra 6800 wheel was written off (several spokes torn etc). I bought a set of replacement wheels (syncros wheels with dt swiss hubs) from my local bike shop and I am happy with them (1540g weight and quite stiff).

In the mean time another bike tech offered to repair the front wheel and we have ordered the shimano spokes etc. This means that I will end up with a spare set of wheels within the next month...

My options are the following I think

1. sell one of the sets of wheels to recoup some of my costs (dont know which to sell actually!!)

2. keep the second set of wheels as a spare set to keep me on the road (my local roads are rough and potholed and therefore it is entirely feasible that a wheel will need maintainance once a year

3. use the spare wheels together with a few other components I have to build up a second bike...which would be ideally be an urban/commuter/touring type bike

which option would you think makes more sense?

thanks

R.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

Always good to have a spare wheel (set) knocking about. Keep tyres on them for that morning when you are running late and find a puncture on your normal wheel. Quick swap, on the road.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Get a frame that will take large width tyre upto 35mm, comfy ride. Cyclocross frames or audaux frame will suit

Ben Hur | 8 years ago
1 like

Thanks for replying....

I discounted the turbo trainer option because where I live (malta) the weather is good for cycling all year round. I am also a member at a gym with good exercise bikes equipped with power meters, so I cannot really justify the cost of a turbo trainer.

I am highly intrigued with the option of building a bike, but do not have a clue as to the best type of frame to use for this purpose...

R.

hucko003 | 8 years ago
1 like

I would keep both sets of wheels as you won't get as much as you paid for them if you sell them. Option 2 is good as just in case you ever have an issue or write off one of your wheels, you've got a spare. Option 3 is also a good one (n+1!) Another option I would say is if you have a turbo-trainer, fit a turbo tyre onto the rear wheel you won't normally use so that when you go on the turbo, you can just swap your wheels over without having to change tyres over. I'd also have a spare cassette ready should you need to use the wheel anyway. 

Hope this helps 

Latest Comments