Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

'Tax' disc

Sorry -  I know it's early in the new year and here it is: a Road Tax post. At least it's not a helmet debate ;-(.

I am sure that everybody on the site knows that road tax disappeared in 1937, and more recently so did tax discs. I saw a picture today of discs collected from 1988 and shown as part of the history for a second-hand car. The colourful ensemble they made was quite interesting. I've also noticed that many cars still display out-of-date discs.

In the vein of 'Cyclists Stay Awsome', would there be any interest in a 'I pay road tax' disc that could go in cars, but with a strong cycling element that reinforces that road tax doesn't exist and comes out of general taxation - or even to the contrary: a 'I don't pay road tax' disc to put in cars. The year would be easy: 1937.

I wouldn't mind a 'Cyclists Stay Awsome' disc.

Anyone?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

jollygoodvelo | 8 years ago
1 like

How about "I pay more tax than you, get out of my effing way"?

Jimnm replied to jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

How about "I pay more tax than you, get out of my effing way"?

haha! I like it, i have a motorbike so I pay road tax. I could do with a disc that says ' I pay road tax but not on this road bike!' Lol 

antigee | 8 years ago
1 like

from what I see and hear arguments about "road tax" don't go anywhere - the majority believe what they believe - anyway I'm in Aus' for a bit and here it is called "rego" Registration Tax and it only covers the admin cost so like the UK roads are paid for from sales tax, income tax and council tax but most drivers believe they pay it to build roads

not seen anything similar for UK but this figure gets quoted a lot here

"Bike riders save economy $21 on each commute"

http://www.smh.com.au/national/bike-riders-save-economy-21-on-each-commu...

so something like:

My Income tax pays for roads mostly for cars

My VAT pays for roads mostly for cars

My Council tax pays for roads mostly for cars

My and your VED (road tax) pays to administer registrations only

I ride my bike to work 3 days a week and save the economy £10/day

can i have my rebate?

a bit too wordy I guess 

Hug | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Simon for the info on the jersey. The pictures on the ipayroadtax site are great. And thanks also for the links to ipayroadtax and Carlton Reid's excellent book.

I was looking for something to put into cars to show that I am a freeloader on the public purse when I'm in the car - turning the argument on its head.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
1 like

Still wear mine - I think they are still available. It's the only jersey I have that gets any comments from other cyclists, always favourable.

Simon E | 8 years ago
2 likes

A few years ago Foska produced a tax disc jersey for Carlton Reid of http://ipayroadtax.com (also of bikebiz & the thoroughly researched website, book & e-book roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com)

Latest Comments