Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New commuting light (other road user friendly)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

keef66 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The size is what put me off the Saferide when they were still available. 

I got the Ixon IQ Premium for Christmas.  Perfect for my leisurely evening rides on unlit rural roads.  Beam pattern illuminates the whole width of the road which makes junctions easier to spot. Genuinely doesn't dazzle oncoming road users. 4-5 hours on full from a set of 4 x AA rechargeables, so it would be possible to ride through the night with a spare set (I bought 8 x Eneloops).  Fork crown mount means it's out of the way of the cables too.  Survived it's first soaking on Saturday night, so it's looking quite promising.

Wouldn't be bright enough for off-roading, and I think if I was riding in traffic I'd augment it with something flashing too.

robertoegg | 8 years ago
0 likes

Anyone use a Philips Saferide? Seems to be road use specific...

oldstrath replied to robertoegg | 8 years ago
0 likes

robertoegg wrote:

Anyone use a Philips Saferide? Seems to be road use specific...

It's  a good beam for lit  roads, and some unlit roads below 20 mph. Not ideal on very hilly and twisty, but that seems generally true of the dipped beam STVZO lights. Problems with the Saferide (apart from no longer made),  are its size (it is seriously big), a not totally stable mount, and a short runtime (maybe 2 hours on full, with Eneloop xx charged outside of the light). 

The Ixon Premium  has (to my eyes) a similar beam,  runs for 5 hours on full, and has a good fork crown mount available. Trelock 950 is USB rechargeable  if that matters to you, although there is at least one extant report of serious overheating on charge.

Latest Comments