Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TT Bikes

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the following bikes:

Felt IA4 (2015)
Rose Aero Flyer (2016)
Fuji Norcom Straight (possibly a 1.1 if build myself using frameset)
Giant trinity advanced (2016)

Hoping to get an idea of what you like or dislike about them as apart from the new canyon speedmax which may be out of my budget if di2 only, these are top of my list.

Budget is around 2.5k may go higher, but only slightly. I have a set of Reynolds assaults to put on the bike already.

Bike will be used for club 10s and 25s TTs. My club 10 is pretty hilly (for me) which makes the rose look tempting. Other course I ride is fairly flat and very quick.

Understand fit will be important and will be looking into the right one for my body shape too (probably end up being another post  21

Thanks,
Karl

Ps. Could all be a pipe dream as my wife doesn't understand the importance of n+1 when it comes to bikes or even more important having the right bike for the task at hand.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

KarlR | 8 years ago
0 likes

That guy must be an extremely strong rider!

On a faster course than my clubs one, I have managed just over 24mins on a standard road bike. Have a fairly low set up on my bike, would like a more a specific bike for the job.

Shiny things are also nice  1

CXR94Di2 replied to KarlR | 8 years ago
0 likes
KarlR wrote:

That guy must be an extremely strong rider!

On a faster course than my clubs one, I have managed just over 24mins on a standard road bike. Have a fairly low set up on my bike, would like a more a specific bike for the job.

Shiny things are also nice  1

Yes he is late 20 s and strongly built. The two fastest guys are completely different in stature. One is small, very fit, early 20 s the other mid 30s and tall string bean. It was my first year trying TT coming back from injury. I have only done 6 at various distances upto 30 miles. Being in my fifties I am aiming to be in the same time brackets as the other oldies:) Nearly there, I'll see in the spring whether I have progressed to catch up or they have improved more than me.

KarlR | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Simon, thanks for your advice.

Looking to use the bike for my third season tt'ing, plan was to get a bike fit and compare that to the geometry of the bikes using the filters advice.
Some of these bikes may well end up being quite similar, with slight differences which can be made the same through adjustments.

Looking at stability, handling, ease of servicing, issues people have had etc.

Karl

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I found that my cyclocross bike is more than adequate at TT s. I found that getting too low starts to impact my power op. It really is the engine on the bike that makes the difference. A fella at our 10TT rides a normal road bike and can do a 21 minute in a rolling course, only a few seconds behind the fastest who are fully aero

Simon E | 8 years ago
1 like

A TT bike should put you in a position that is both aerodynamically efficient and allowing you to keep your output high, while also being comfortable (a relative term). Some riders experience a significant drop in watts in a race position compared to a road bike that it can completely cancel out any aero gains.

There is no way you can choose such a specific bike via the internet, and certainly not from strangers who don't even know your height, degree of flexibility, etc etc. Unless you like gambling then visiting one or more real world shops is the only way.  Most frames differ little in drag and anyway the rider makes up 80% of the total drag. Therefore I would spend at least as much on tweaking the lump on top of the saddle as the parts beneath it.

Latest Comments