Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vittoria Open Pave CG (25mm) Black Clincher Tyres

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

graybags | 8 years ago
0 likes

Vanilla Bikes currently have a deal on these, a pair plus a pair of continental tubes for £54.99

The _Kaner replied to graybags | 8 years ago
0 likes

graybags wrote:

Vanilla Bikes currently have a deal on these, a pair plus a pair of continental tubes for £54.99

Yeah, just after seeing that, equivalent to €75 for me, which is a great deal (with the tubes)....getting an itchy trigger finger...

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Ayoub Al Djinn | 8 years ago
0 likes

Run them every winter, 25mm at 80-90 psi, they are super fast and grippy and give you lots of confidence in the wet and mud. Noticed they improve braking performance especially if you pair then with some swissstop bhp pro pads. 

As for wear done about 1700 on them in London/surry and north wales, no major damage and only a few pinch punctures, rear tread does wear out faster than front  as expected but not yet reached a level where it feels like it's affecting anything, I guess the compound itself rather than the slight tread makes the difference.

March 21st I swap them for Vittoria open Corsa which are another super fast grippy tire!! 

Kevin TheRoadie | 8 years ago
0 likes

I ran a pair of 27mm on 23mm rims for a short while.  As others have stated they ride, grip and feel great but wear very quickly.  However they were a p*ncture-fest once it rained especially on Oxfords flinty roads.  They cut badly and cost a fortune in inner-tubes and patches.  The final straw was riding from Oxford to London one rainy afternoon across the Chilterns and had 4 flint induced p*nctures by the time I'd got to Henley   2

I've since swapped to Continental 4 Seasons and touch wood not one visitation in over double the mileage I did on the Vittorias.  They wear better and do not cut anything like the Vittorias.  Having said that they are a bit bouncy to ride and not as grippy but there again I'm not living in constant fear every time it rains of standing in some sodden lay-by changing yet another tube either.  

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

About 1500km on 25mm Greens - front file tread is pretty much as new, flat on the centre on the rear but that was mostly done on one ill-conceived trainer ride.. so difficult to know exactly how it would have faired otherwise. One pinch flat in a deep, sharp edged pot-hole (hardly the tyres fault) but no penetration punctures thus far. Couple of very minor cuts on the tread but I do tend to use them on all sorts of tarmac, broken surfaces, gravel, fire roads and smoother single-track... don't give them the abuse I would tubeless but they've surprised me so far, thought something that light, comfortable, grippy and seemingly soft would be ripped by now. Not as silky smooth as some of the very finest, e.g. Open Corsa but very good ride even with butyl inners - FWIW i'd recommend them and will be replacing as an when they wear out. Wiggle and PlanetX seem to be the cheapest at the moment, might get one in now with the power of Christmas vouchers.

crom | 8 years ago
1 like

I run 25mm with latex tubes every season except winter. The feel of them is absolutely gorgeous, so much nicer than the Duranos I have on winter bike and prior to getting the Pavés. I've only had trouble around August/September with thorns; stones and flints have nicked but never punctured. Wear rate on the rear can be quick but I've got about 3000km out of a pair by rotating them, though they'd be pretty square after that!

I'm planning to try the Veloflex Master next tyre purchase though. Same principle of tyre but made in Italy, and a bit cheaper than Vittoria to boot.

Dicklexic | 8 years ago
1 like

I use the 27mm ones. Grip and road feel are superb, even in shocking conditions. They seem to be reasonably puncture resistant (for the weight) but do struggle a little with glass and flint. I've had to super glue several small cuts in the tread, although none of those cuts damaged the casing. Much of my winter riding is on urban streets and cycle paths so perhaps I see more broken glass than you would. They are a pretty soft compound (which is no doubt why they grip so well) and the tread on the rear tyre of my bike is now significantly worn after less that 1500km. Having said that the performance is brilliant so I'll probably be getting another set when these are worn out completely. Ribble have a good price on them at the moment. 

The _Kaner replied to Dicklexic | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dicklexic wrote:

... Ribble have a good price on them at the moment. 

Yeah I saw that. That's why I was considering them. I wanted to try something less 'wooden', currently on Lithion 2's  (23mm) - cheap, robust but ultimately quite dead feeling.

Wanting to run a slightly bigger tyre (hence 25mm - max my current bike will take).

I've a new bike (Giant) coming in two weeks also, I can fit up to 28mm on. If I like these, I might get a set to use on that. 

spicypedro | 8 years ago
1 like

Yep. Highly recommended. I use them throughout winter on shitty Yorkshire roads. Paired with some latex tubes they feel great and have so far offered excellent puncture resistance.

The _Kaner | 8 years ago
0 likes

Any good for late winter/spring weather? Will be used on (fairly) poor and rough, broken Irish roads? Doing approx 50/100 kms per ride, twice a week...usually wet(tish) roads. Interested in longevity/puncture resistance (non anectodal) replies... Thanks  

(problems with original post????)

Latest Comments