Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

E Bikes and Commuting

As a pleasant surprise, my professional institute mag (Engineering & Technology) ran an article on the impact of electrical technology on cycling.  It covered electronic shifting but most of it was pedal assist bikes and how it was a massive growth area.  Sadly my current commute is primarily a car journey, although I do cycle once or twice a week.  The fast, busy A (or B) road isn't my thing so it's a town, bike path (some gravel) and back lane ride which means it's hard work and takes anything from an hour to an hour 15 depending on time of year and which bike gets used.  I started to ask myself the question whether a pedal assist E bike would be capable of taking the 'sting' (ie the steep hilly bits) out of the ride and up the average speed to make the ride easier to achieve on more than 1 day.  It's pretty knackering and makes the working day quite long when you factor in showering etc.  Most E bike 'chat' is around older people where it has allowed them to overcome age related problems that impact on normal cycling.  Just wondered whether anyone had some 'tales' where an E bike had revolutionised their commute.  I'm not convinced it would make a massive time difference, apart from making the hills more bearable, but just got me thinking.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

wknight | 8 years ago
0 likes

An ebike will make it slightly quicker as you won't be so slow going up hills and the fast pull away from the lights is fun and often take the car drivers by surprise. I use my ebike to get back into cycling again because it allowed me to go further and when I get tired switch on the motor. I also find it excellent training for the road bike because the bike is so heavy in comparison.  I think on a flat route the ebike will cost you time but if it's hilly and you are not fit, it will be quicker. 

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

how far is it?

i doubt an e-bike would make it any quicker, but it'd certainly make it a whole lot less effort. I tend to average 24-26kph when i'm out for an hour and riding an e-bike for the same amount of time i don't cover quite the same distance, maybe 20-22km. But that's without ever breaking a sweat.

Latest Comments