Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Smart turbo trainer advice

I'm looking for a turbo to do 2 things. 

1) create a power based programme myself (is 5 mins at 130, 3 at 250, 5 at 130 etc) and ride so the turbo automatically changes the resistance to the programme.

2) ride outdoors with my GPS device and then download the file so the slopes can be recreated automatically by the turbo.

I'm not bothered about fancy graphics or online racing. I have a Bluetooth tablet and computer.

I like the look of the Tacx Bushido but am slightly confused by the model options and all the add ons I think I need. 

Does anyone have one or can you recommend a different trainer for what I want.

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

kenyond | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was looking at tacx turbos before christmas ended up getting an elite qubo mag, does power has a handy app where you can record outdoor rides and re ride indoors the only thing is gradiant adjustment isnt automatic on this model but i belive it is on the muin.

number9dream | 8 years ago
0 likes

I use the Tacx Vortex smart - with an additional USB ANT+ stick it works fine with Bkool to do as you request, and Zwift which has some excellent structured power-based training programmes. It's cheap too. Possibly the only downside is that it doesn't reliably simunlate slopes over a certain grade (i think 7%) but if you get the next model up in the line (Bushido i think) that will. 

turnerc99 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can't see it anywhere for less than £950. You used to be able to get refurb ones on the Wahoo site, but they don't seem to be available anymore

CXR94Di2 replied to turnerc99 | 8 years ago
0 likes
turnerc99 wrote:

I can't see it anywhere for less than £950. You used to be able to get refurb ones on the Wahoo site, but they don't seem to be available anymore

You seem to be right. I checked Wiggle pre xmas and they were £849 now price is as you say. I can't fault mine, it has been perfect and with 2k+ miles put on since May.

Edit: you can get them for 849.00 but you need to be a platinum member. I buy virtually all my bike items from Wiggle.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The model is Kickr made by Wahoo. It's a direct drive version, you remove the back wheel. Circa £849.00

velochris | 8 years ago
0 likes

Which Kickr do you have? The Snap might just be in my price range but the smart is too much.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I am not familiar with tacx(EDIT, I have just seen a session by a pro level chap using the using the  Tacx Vortex smart turbo trainer with Bkool), I use Bkool software/sim on my Wahoo Kickr. I can up- load my previous outdoor rides (gpx files) to bkool and then can re-run them with auto variable resistance. I also create my own intervals.

There are also thousands to choose from either previous routes from all over the world and interval sessions. Also there is velodrome sessions which are good fun - well I do enjoy them.

You can be totally solo by not making your training public, and I started that way but progressed to open sessions and allow others to join me and vice versa. The competition can be a great motivator.

Latest Comments