Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sizing an Allez / Propose an alternative!

I'd like a new road bike, at the moment I've been riding a fixed gear Lemond Fillmore for a couple of years as a commuting beast, and would like a 'summer-only' geared road bike.

I have £600 as a top-end figure (plus the rest to fit out with new pedals and the like)

I'm leaning towards the Allez Sport, probably due to my enthusiasm for the lower-end model (historically) and the paint-job. I've also spotted the Giant Defy as an alternative, any suggestions?

The catch - Must have pannier mounts for a bit of rambo touring.

Sizing problems:

I'm just 6 foot tall (183 cm) but I believe (I may be wrong) that I have out of proportion legs (legs are bigger relative to my torso) can you help recommend a size for a Spech Allez:

183 cm Height (6 foot)
90 cm Inseam (Floor to crotch right up to the joint) - 35.4 inches)

Any ideas?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Zaskar | 13 years ago
0 likes

Also every manufacturer will measure bikes differently Fishy. (Tubes centre to centre or from the edge etc)

I tend to look at top tube (6ft1) and use 57 top tube.
Like Dave says, find a local bike shop (LBS) and try it.

Roadbikes are like shoes-need to try and everyone is different.

Also you could get a local Shop to "bike fit" you and then order a bike online based on the measurements that would suit you.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

yeah, that's what i find too, only i'm between a 58 and a 60. Nobody makes a 59  1

Fishy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Hi Dave,

Brill, thanks for injecting a little bit of science into that one, I'll be trying a 56 Allez tomorrow, and I would imagine my perfect bike is either a 56 or a 58 (of any brand) the deciding factor being the length of the top tube.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

your inseam is 49% of your height which is high but not abnormal, about the same as mine. What I find is that I just tend to run a lot of seatpost, whatever I'm riding. Also, bikes that *look* right when i set them up (ie the seat isn't high) are often a bit long.

There's no substitute for trying a few bikes and seeing what you like the feel of. Go down to your LBS, take a tape measure, try a few bikes and measure the ones you think fit you the best. The next step is to get a proper bike fitting, it'll cost you some money but it's a useful exercise.

Latest Comments