Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Flashing bike light advert

Is that flashing bike light advert annoying anyone else? Can it be switched off? Has anyone been persuaded to buy one?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Tony Farrelly | 8 years ago
0 likes

Actually carytb they did listen and they replaced the ad for a while.

However the flashing version got a VERY high click through rate indeed and presumably sold a lot of lights. Something the non-flashing version didn't do as effectively. That's why the flashing one is back - it worked.

As Mike says the ads pay for the site. In my view they have the benefit of being honest - you know those bits of the page are where people are trying to sell you something, on a site like ours most of the time that should be something relevant.

If everyone blocks ads* we either close the site or find new ways of generating income - personally I'd rather have the ads.

*In fact the doomsday scenario for web publishers isn't users blocking ads - it's their mobile phone company or ISP doing it  - in the name of saving bandwidth - and not giving you a choice in the matter either way.

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

The solution is in your hands ..... AdBlock Plus.

This will eliminate 90% of all ad's, which is a short term win, but you may wish to consider the longer term effects.  If nobody watches the ad's, the site gets no money and it closes.  Do you want to see your favourite site disappear?

As I say, it's in your hands.

flobble | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes, it's infuriating (the advert). And I agree re the site, sadly.

notfastenough | 8 years ago
2 likes

Not just me then. 

Sorry Dave, Simon etc, but I feel like my most-visited site for the last couple of years has sold out somehow. A redesign that seems to have killed off the community aspect, ridiculously annoying ads such as the one referred to above, and even popups advertising cars.  I may as well read any anonymous site such as bikeradar. Sorry chaps. 

carytb | 8 years ago
1 like

I posted about the advert a couple of months ago. I even emailed the company itself asking them if they thought annoying perspective customers was likely result in more sales. Needless to say they ignored me.

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Y, Don't know, N

Latest Comments