Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road disc pad recommendations

Hello, recently whacked some HY-RD callipers on my Synapse Disc and wanted to get some pads in, so I'm prepared when the originals wear down. Any recommendations? They take Shimano M525/M515 compatible pads. 

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have just swapped out my resin pads after 1000 miles or so. Not normal usage 350 miles in Tenerife and TdY sportive. I have fitted sintered pads, less wear, better braking and less squeal.

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have TRP Spyres and I tend to gravitate to Jagwire or Ashima semi-metallic pads; they're the ones that seem to work the best for me out of the options available in my country in the M525/M515 shape.

Shimano's B01S resin jobs are okay in a pinch, but tend to wear down quite quickly in the cut-and-thrust of the urban commute (especially the front pair). They're the ones that seem most reliably stocked though. The Jagwire or Ashima options can have touchy availability.

AndyRed3d | 6 years ago
0 likes

If you've fitted the TRP Hy-Rd's and they're scary - might be because you fitted them incorrectly. I put a front one on my Synapse as well and was quite dissapointed with the result (about the same or perhaps worse than the original cable calipers).

So I reread the TRP instructions, watched videos etc and realised that I'd fitted it slightly wrong. I'd tightened the cable a bit too much (so that the brake lever didn't get too close to the handlebars). But this prevents the hydraulics from working properly as (I think) it means the cyclinder doesn't open properly to recharge when you release the brakes. The result is ok but spongy.

When I reset the cable, making sure their actuation lever position lock thing was engaged and just taking up the slack in the cable, the difference was dramatic (after a few brake pumps ). It suddenly felt like 80 - 90% of the stopping power of full hydraulic, instead of the 40 - 50% that I could ever get out of the original cable calipers.

Thanks to all on the pad advice. Live in Bath (v. hilly!), so I've ripped through my pads.

cdean replied to AndyRed3d | 5 years ago
0 likes

AndyRed3d wrote:

If you've fitted the TRP Hy-Rd's and they're scary - might be because you fitted them incorrectly. I put a front one on my Synapse as well and was quite dissapointed with the result (about the same or perhaps worse than the original cable calipers).

So I reread the TRP instructions, watched videos etc and realised that I'd fitted it slightly wrong. I'd tightened the cable a bit too much (so that the brake lever didn't get too close to the handlebars). But this prevents the hydraulics from working properly as (I think) it means the cyclinder doesn't open properly to recharge when you release the brakes. The result is ok but spongy.

I think you’re right. Further googling has found a bulletin/safety warning that TRP issued about setting them up properly https://www.trpbrakes.com/userfiles/file/TRP%20HYRD%20Technical%20Bullet...

cdean replied to cdean | 5 years ago
0 likes

cdean wrote:

I think you’re right. Further googling has found a bulletin/safety warning that TRP issued about setting them up properly https://www.trpbrakes.com/userfiles/file/TRP%20HYRD%20Technical%20Bullet...

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread again but I followed the instructions here and it’s like I’ve got a completely new set of brakes – they feel fantastic in comparison and not a million miles away from hydraulic disks. 

jacknorell | 8 years ago
0 likes

My sintered pads make a lot more noise and have less bite than the organic (resin), which are quiet and have more stopping power & modulation. Shimano or Superstar Components are a toss-up for performance.

But they also wear quicker. By some margin.

Trying some Superstar kevlar ones next, supposedly last longer but the benefits of organic pads.

Rovert | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Gunswick,

these do look like a good option. I'd not seen them before. The feedback on the site looks positive. Any Road CC guys/gals tried them?

gunswick | 8 years ago
0 likes

FWE semi sintered look perhaps OK? I haven't found many reviews, has anyone used them?

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/fwe/shimano-deore-m515-disc-brake-pads...

joemmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for superstar pads. I use organics on my cx bike with shimano cable discs and sintered on my MTB with shimano hydraulics. Braking is good, lifespan is good, price is good.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

I run shimano r785 disc brakes on both my road bikes (one which is my all weather work bike which gets covered in lots of grit & grime every week)

Once the original pads wore out i replaced them with superstar component pads

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/mountain/mountain-braking/mou...

I can say they have been brilliant, just as good as the original shimano ones, one set have done 2000+ miles on the work bike

Cost £18 to do all four brake calipers

The shimano ones cost £16 for one caliper!

Rovert | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Guys, I'd heard that semi-metaled/semi-sintered were a good bet. My disc bike is predominantly a winter/wet weather bike but as its used on the road it shouldn't be picking up to much muck to wear out organic pads quickly but the sintered pads will deal with heat better.

Sure someone out there with single track/cyclocross experience will be able to give some pointers?

. . | 8 years ago
0 likes

My mileage varies, literally.

I have TRP Spyre brakes which use the same pads.   I found the original TRP organic pads wore very quickly.  I had to adjust them every 100 miles, and they only lasted 1000.  I replaced them with EBC Gold sintered pads and haven't had to adjust them at all in 500 miles.

The EBC pads seem to respond quicker in the wet, but they don't have the same overall  stopping power as the originals.   Think I'll be trying something different again next time.

mike the bike replied to . . | 8 years ago
0 likes

. . wrote:

I have TRP Spyre brakes which use the same pads.   I found the original TRP organic pads wore very quickly.  I had to adjust them every 100 miles, and they only lasted 1000.  I replaced them with EBC Gold sintered pads and haven't had to adjust them at all in 500 miles.

The EBC pads seem to respond quicker in the wet, but they don't have the same overall  stopping power as the originals.   Think I'll be trying something different again next time.

My experience of the original TRP pads in my Spyres is somewhat different.  Although they certainly didn't last long I found them lacking in bite and stopping power.  On the recommendation of a friend I bought some semi-sintered pads from Disco Brakes and they are much better.  And cheap too.  I'll probably order from them again.

maviczap replied to mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

. . wrote:

My experience of the original TRP pads in my Spyres is somewhat different.  Although they certainly didn't last long I found them lacking in bite and stopping power.  On the recommendation of a friend I bought some semi-sintered pads from Disco Brakes and they are much better.  And cheap too.  I'll probably order from them again.

I've found the same with the pads in my TRP HYRD's, in fact they are scarey compared to normal rim brakes, unless I grab a hand full of brake. But they are progressive.

My other disc braked bike is running cheapo cable calipers  and stops really well. So I'll be swapping the pads on the TRP's soon in the hope that they improve

fustuarium | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've tried a few and not really noticed any difference. Even between resin and sintered. Setup and clealiness seem to make the most difference. They seem to last an age as well so I wouldn't worry about them wearing down any time soon. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Latest Comments