Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Continental tyres too narrow

I fitted a pair of Continental Grand Prix 4 Season 700x28 tyres at the weekend. Thinking that they looked a bit narrow I measured them with calipers and found that they are 25.5 mm wide. Measuring a Michelin Krylion Carbon 700x25 on another bike I found that it is 27 mm!

Do Continental tyres tend to come up narrow? I thought I was buying a fatter tyre which would be better on the occasional diversion along bridleways and gravel roads.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

In theory there is, but so far as i know the ETRTO specs for measuring tyres only stipulate that it's the width of the tyre at the widest point, it doesn't have to be on a set size rim although that shouldn't make *all* that much difference...

Zaskar | 13 years ago
0 likes

Is there a international set standard on how to measure the tyre?

(I would like to know as I'm guessing every manufacturer uses different methods)

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

Sheldon Brown he say:

"Competitive pressures have often led to inaccuracy in width measurement. Here's how it works: Suppose you are in the market for a high performance 700 x 25 tire; you might reasonably investigate catalogues and advertisements to try to find the lightest 700-25 available. If the Pepsi Tyre Company and the Coke Tyre Company had tires of equal quality and technology, but the Pepsi 700-25 was actually a 700-24 marked as a 25, the Pepsi tyre would be lighter than the accurately-marked Coke 700-25. This would put them at a competitive advantage. In self defense, Coke would retaliate by marketing an even lighter 700-23 labeled as a 700-25.

This scenario prevailed throughout the '70's and '80's. The situation got so out-of-hand that cooler heads have prevailed, and there is a strong (but not universal) trend toward accurate width measurements."

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

The rim width can effect tyre width, but pressure shouldn't. The threads in the carcass prevent tyres from stretching.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

it may depend on how much 'psi' you put into 'em.. i spose.

Latest Comments