Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New rear bike light- any suggestions

I'm looking at getting a new rear light as the one I have at the moment is pretty token and not rechargeable.  I have a couple in mind: Knog Blinder R70 and the Bontrager Flare R.  Both seem to get pretty good reviews but I'm open to other suggestions. Lightly are mainly to be used as a 'be seen' at all times type light (meaning day and night) to be used as a constant on my winter bike. Cheers in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Here is the Niterider lumina 750 on the lowest setting. The end of the building is 15 metres away. On a dark road it is more than adequate

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Here are my two rear lights. The left is a cats eye ld1100 and the right side cygolite hotshot. The distance is about 9 metres to the house wall. You can see that the hotshot wins easily

akelly524 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Topeak redlite race

Dutch25 | 8 years ago
1 like

In the end I've picked up a Flare R. Very impressed with brightness- can't actually look directly at it. Will see how many complaints I get when riding in a group  1

Jharrison5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

As if by magic! This was here when I got home. Not USB chargeable though  2 It can take a 18650 or 3xAAA (which it has in here) and seems blindingly bright. I'll need to angle it down and keep it on a low setting. £5.

Man of Lard | 8 years ago
1 like

I had a Microdrive fail... Contacted the distributor and had a replacement back in my hands within 48 hours.

MrLeffe | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have the Lezyne Zecto, it has been excellent, the best usb light I've had and I've been through lots of expensive lights that failed pretty quickly, it's very bright and extremely easy to put on and take off with its rubber strap, it stays charged for many hours and even has a series of LED lights on the side to let you know how much charge is left. It's been through many a rain storm which is what normally kills them but this Lezyne is still going strong. 

Jharrison5 replied to MrLeffe | 8 years ago
0 likes
MrLeffe wrote:

I have the Lezyne Zecto, it has been excellent, the best usb light I've had and I've been through lots of expensive lights that failed pretty quickly.

I've had a couple of micro drives that each failed, so will try another company this time. Maybe in the future though.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
1 like

I would get two for commuting in the dark, one battery power and one rechargeable. Rear lights need to be reliable, you just switch email on and don't even have to think about them til you get home. You just don't know when a battery will go flat on you, or when your recharge will fizzle out, and as it gets colder a charge that used to last two hours may struggle for one. You can also have bulbs go, mountings break etc.
I would also recommend one on flash and one on constant - some people struggle to judge distance to a flashing light.

Spangly Shiny | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm riding with one of these :http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gear/product/giant.numen.plus.tl.1/5...

It's easily bright enough to run in the daylight plus it really lasts.

Dutch25 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the responses. It seems as though the Flare R is winning out for me at the moment. To be fair any would be an improvement on what I've got.

mostly | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've been using the flare r for a few months as a 'be seen' daytime light, very impressed with it, just take care with the usb flap, I've got home and its been soaked. Still works tho.

Welsh boy | 8 years ago
1 like

Try these, they are superb.  Light, bright and rechargable.  I have one on each bike and also bought one for my son for his uni commuting bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252145344466?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=...

Jharrison5 replied to Welsh boy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Welsh boy wrote:

Try these, they are superb.  Light, bright and rechargable.  I have one on each bike and also bought one for my son for his uni commuting bike.

That looks like good value: less than 10p per lumen! What's the run time like?

Welsh boy replied to Jharrison5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Jharrison5 wrote:
Welsh boy wrote:

3 1/2 hours without any problem, i use it on flashing mode and have left it run for about twice that time just to check that i had a safety margin built in,  I will try it on constant tomorrow and let you know.

Welsh boy replied to Welsh boy | 8 years ago
1 like

Welsh boy wrote:

Jharrison5 wrote:
Welsh boy wrote:

3 1/2 hours without any problem, i use it on flashing mode and have left it run for about twice that time just to check that i had a safety margin built in,  I will try it on constant tomorrow and let you know.

Run time on constant brightest setting was just over 4 hours, flashing was over 8 then I forgot to check when it actually went off.

Personally, I recharge them after each ride anyway just to be safe.

Jharrison5 replied to Welsh boy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Run time on constant brightest setting was just over 4 hours, flashing was over 8 then I forgot to check when it actually went off.

Personally, I recharge them after each ride anyway just to be safe.

[/quote]

I bought one a few days ago and look forward to seeing how it goes. Thanks for your advice.

I also bought: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Zoomable-Red-Flashlight-Zoom-Fo...

And look forward to seeing whether it is worthwhile or not. I use two similar torches for urban riding.

For something a bit more reliable (some of the Chinese stuff fails quicker than a micro drive!) I will probably go with the flare r or the Guee Inox. 2 lights are better than one.

Jeroen0110 replied to Welsh boy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

Welsh boy how bright are these? great value!

CXR94Di2 replied to Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Jeroen0110 wrote:

Welsh boy wrote:

Welsh boy how bright are these? great value!

Looking at the eBay image they won't illuminate more than a few feet, and at £4 what are you expecting. I would class these as emergency back up lights.

Headlights should be able to put a beam pattern on the surface at least 30 metres up the road and a rear light should reflect off a wall at 15 metres. Do it right do it once. Look at niterider lumina 750 and cygolite hotshot

waldner71 | 8 years ago
0 likes

After doing a fair bit of research and checking reviews I just ordered the Bontrager Flare R. (£31.49 at Triton and Sigma Sports). Have seen only good reviews of it. The Knog Blinder R70 was on my list too but saw too many reviews saying the rubber mounting strap didn't last/broke easily which put me off. 

The others I considered were Cateye Volt 50 as I have a Volt 300 front and really like it plus the fact the rechargeable batteries for them are interchangeable,  and Cateye X3 ( £32.99@Evans)which has a whopping 100 lumens output. 

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cygolite hotshot is bright enough to be seen in bright daylight usb recharge, small and comes with seat stay clamp

therevokid | 8 years ago
0 likes

use tracer .... 

Jharrison5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm in the market for a new one too. I'd rather avoid batteries and stick to USB charging. Has anyone tried a Guee Inox Mini R? Otherwise I see that chain reaction have a Knog blinder on sale at £15.

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

You'll get as many opinions as there are contributors. I find the Cateye TL-LD600 excellent value and the 2 AAAs (rechargeable ) easily last a week of commuting at this time of year. Lots of other good options nowadays.

Whatever you get make sure it's bright. I'd start at http://road.cc/category/review-section/accessories/lights-rear

Latest Comments