Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mix n match 105 and ultegra

My lbs just swapped my ultegra group set with hydraulic brakes over to a bike that had 105 as standard, however it doesn't sound too good and when in the small ring dropping down gears from the granny ring it takes ages to drop when going down the cassette? 

Currently it's got a 105 rear mech, 105 front mech, ultegra crank, ultegra cassette and 105 chain, I'm also using the ultegra shifters, it sounded awful with a kmc chain fitted and the ultegra rear derailieur was causing problems. Any suggestions, thoughts advice would be appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

fixit | 8 years ago
0 likes

please tell: shifters series, cassette series, rear derailleur series and chain series. (eg st-5800 rd-5800 e.t.c. and I will give you a straight answer.

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

Mr CXR is probably right, especially if the cables are not new.  But .........

........ if a bike shop was involved there is little chance of mixing up 10 and 11 speed components, although it remains a possibility.  In particular an 11 speed chain might not like a 10 speed cassette?

I also have a sneaking feeling that some of the latest Shimano stuff is not as easily compatible as the earlier gear.  At some stage recently I believe there were subtle changes to the amount of cable pull.

You might do well to look at one of the online Shimano compatibility charts and, using your component series numbers ( 5800 etc:), check what ties up with which.

At least you've got the Christmas holiday to get it sorted.  Best of luck.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
1 like

If the derailleur is slow to drop down the cassette smoothly, first check the cables are freely moving. I would also check the derailleur is also free to move across its range of movement - this involves disconnecting the cable from the derailleur and taking off chain (easy with kmc split link) and manually moving mechanism. There will not be any compatibility issues with 105, ultegra or dura ace. It's just cables or poor adjustment usually.

Latest Comments