Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cleaning Braking Surfaces

I've just bought some new SwissStop brake blocks but before I stick them on the bike I wanted to give the braking surfaces of my Mavic Kyseriums a clean.  They're probably covered in GT85 etc from all the post-winter-ride cleaning I've been doing  1

Any recommendations of what can be used to remove any dirt/grime/teflon??!  I though about using some white spirit on cotton wool but wasn't sure if it might attack the wheels/tyres in some way.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Jharrison5 | 8 years ago
0 likes
leftback | 8 years ago
0 likes

White spirit should not be used, it leaves a small amount of oily residue. I normally use clear liquid kitchen cleaner with a dishcloth on my alloy rims, then rinse off with water. If I was being fussy I would probably use lemon degreaser liquid and a worn scotchbrite pad, then water. If I was going to use spirits it would be methylated spirit, easy to get hold of.

DaveE128 | 8 years ago
1 like

I'd choose meths over white spirit as the latter leaves a residue.

CommotionLotion | 8 years ago
0 likes

I got some "Old Spice" for Secret Santa last year and if it hadn't been for a timely intervention I'd've got more for Secret Santa this year !  

Thanks for the tip.

BobbyG | 8 years ago
1 like

This wins, end of thread laugh

adyshort | 8 years ago
3 likes

I use all the bad aftershave I've been given over the years and wipe the rims down with that, Tai Winds from Avon is one I found in the loft last year which must be 30 years old although it does make my bikes, and shed, smell like a tarts handbag.  It's basically a cheap way to get alcohol, actually perfumed degreaser is a good idea for kickstarter - anyone?

rnick | 8 years ago
0 likes

I use a quick squirt of fenwicks foaming chain degreaser.  Spot of elbow grease & the rims are free (briefly) of the black crud.

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
2 likes

Disc brakes are the answer, I think.  

*Dons tin hat*

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

isopropyl alcohol is the best  3

BobbyG | 8 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks, white spirit or vinegar it is then!

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for vinegar. Quick, effective and cheap.

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

Try some white (or spirit) vinegar on a clean rag or cloth and some elbow grease.

BBRAP | 8 years ago
1 like

IPA (iso propyl alchohol) not the beer cheeky. Will degrease most things without leaving a residue or causing damage.

kildafornia | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi, this is from Reynolds:

"Cleaning carbon rims: You will need a clean gray scotch-brite pad (most hardware stores will stock gray, ultra-fine-abrasive pads) and Acetone to best clean your wheels. First, clean the brake track along the top 13mm of rim circumference. Remove all discoloration, smears and ‘tacky- feeling’ areas. Focus on the rough feeling patches or those with obvious discoloration and very-very lightly scuff with the scotch-brite pad in the direction along the circumference of the rim. Please be careful not to use excessive pressure when cleaning your wheels as it is easy to remove more than surface contamination and damage the braking layer molded into the rim."

-source doc (PDF) https://www.reynoldscycling.com/uploads/reynolds.carbon.wheel.cleaning.pdf

Mirka pads are identical to scotchbrite, but easier to find and cheaper on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Acetone is nail polish remover.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

I tend to put some degreaser on a rag and use that.

Latest Comments