Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Di2 Ultegra newby

I've just bought second hand , all parts needed for Di2  Ultegra 6770 setup, looking forward to fitting it all now.

Can anyone who uses it give me their thoughts and experiences on it and any advice before I bolt the bits on?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

MrLeffe | 8 years ago
0 likes

well ive had the Di2 up and running  for a few days now and can say it is  awesome, i thought there maybe technical issues with buying a mix of second hand stuff and new but it has all worked fine, couldnt believe how easy it was to set up, ive got the external battery so it took a bit of figuring out how to get the cables looking tidy , i drilled out the lug in the down tube so the shifter cable could pass down there and be hidden away and pushed the slack into the BB .its looking as clean as i can get it.

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
1 like

On both my Di2 builds i have actually laid out and connected the components on a table first, just to make sure they are all working. A good idea especially when fitting an already used system. You can then transfer from the table to the bike methodically.

As already noted leave a little slack when connecting to the shifters, if i recall the installation manual shows this, just a simple 2cm loop will do. The little loop will soon flatten down once bar tape and rubber hoods are fitted. The loop allows some movement in the shifter without popping the connection.

I hope you got some of the little cable clips in your used kit. They look like cable ties and just clip to the cable, used to 'pad out' the cable in the frame and stop the cable rattling about. Very useful, if you did not get any then just use tiny cable ties pulled all the way in to leave a long tail.

Don't wrap up the frame junction box in anything to pad it out in the frame. Simply place a couple of the mentioned cable ties on to each cable right next to the junction box to keep it from bouncing about in the frame.

Finally before you even start, think logically about the cable routing through the frame, especially round the bottom bracket. You want to make sure everything is out of the way when you put that BB in so not to pinch and cables.

MrLeffe replied to Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

Martyn_K wrote:

On both my Di2 builds i have actually laid out and connected the components on a table first, just to make sure they are all working. A good idea especially when fitting an already used system. You can then transfer from the table to the bike methodically.

As already noted leave a little slack when connecting to the shifters, if i recall the installation manual shows this, just a simple 2cm loop will do. The little loop will soon flatten down once bar tape and rubber hoods are fitted. The loop allows some movement in the shifter without popping the connection.

I hope you got some of the little cable clips in your used kit. They look like cable ties and just clip to the cable, used to 'pad out' the cable in the frame and stop the cable rattling about. Very useful, if you did not get any then just use tiny cable ties pulled all the way in to leave a long tail.

Don't wrap up the frame junction box in anything to pad it out in e frame. Simply place a couple of the mentioned cable ties on to each cable right next to the junction box to keep it from bouncing about in the frame.

Finally before you even start, think logically about the cable routing through the frame, especially round the bottom bracket. You want to make sure everything is out of the way when you put that BB in so not to pinch and cables.

many thanks for your advice, I have fitted it all now using your tips, and it is is brilliant ! Ive been riding my Bianchi 5 years and it's amazing go ride it now with Egears love it!

massivecompacthalo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just one tip, be sure to leave a little slack in the cables underneath the bar tape, best just before the shifter connection. Had mine pop out when I had a little off, didn't discover it until I had uttered many profanities, aborted my planned 80km ride and cycled home stuck in 52-16.

hennahairgel | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd been nowhere near Di2 stuff prior to building my bike but found it all OK. Have a read of the Dealer Manual http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-UL0001-02-ENG.pdf

Get all the wires in the frame fitted and the junction box inserted up the down tube (or where it fits for you) prior to getting the mech and levers on.

Use the insertion tool to make sure the connections are fully in.

I've got the diagnositic kit as well which means you can program how it shifts (speed, multi-shift, etc.)

It's all pretty straightforward so long as you are methodical. Oh, and read up on how to reset the system whilst out and about as occasionally (well once for me, once someone else) the rear mech went into crash protectoin mode and stopped shifting. A bit of button pressing sorted that out.

And yeah, I'm not going back to mechanical on my road bike.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well done for picking a great piece of kit. Once you have tried it you won't go back to mechanical shifters. I haven't done a clean install but have changed my 3 port to a 5 port for adding time trial shifters. Simple to do. I also purchased the diagnostic programmer to update firmware on all parts.

Did you get the internal battery? A much more sleek design

Latest Comments

• panda 2 min 53 sec ago

In defence of the triathletes (full disclosure: I was a racing cyclist (mostly TTs) and switched over to long course triathlon for a while before...

• MattKelland 3 min 18 sec ago

GWR also allows you to make bike and seat reservations on its services yourself via your online account, regardless of where you got your ticket.

• OnYerBike 13 min 57 sec ago

Wax tends to last longer than wet lube between applications (although varies depending on brand of wax/lube). So, however frequently (or...

• Steve Williams 19 min 28 sec ago

Personally I find have my arms wider just makes it that little bit easier to breathe - I wonder if others do too? Got to love the toe clips, 5mm...

• mattw 40 min 57 sec ago

The road is an in-out No Motor Vehicles Except Access loop with no vehicle access in the middle of the loop ie effectively a crescent....

• cyclisto 59 min 7 sec ago

I understand that if it is on sale, most likely it will be sold. I am just trying to understand its benefits....

• DJameson 1 hour 7 min ago

My regular Aldi is urban, and the bike racks are heavily used and fantastic. I appreciate that they're right outside the plate glass, so any...

• Rendel Harris 1 hour 14 min ago

So, just as an example, what had five-month-old twins Naeim and Wissam Abu Anza, killed in an Israeli airstrike on a civilian house, done in their...

• Steve K 2 hours 9 min ago

On the subject of other vehicles blocking cycle lanes, there is a point on the Croydon Tram between Waddon and West Croydon where it is designed in...

• daccordimark 2 hours 22 min ago

I've had one of these since November and agree it's good value for money. For me, the ride is a bit harsh and I can't really detect any comfort...