Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

So, can the UK match South Africa?

Hi all, I'm a Brit living in South Africa and I'm planning to emigrate back in the semi-near future. (This country is no place to bring up kids, and not very safe in general...) As a weekend-warrior I've been lucky to be able to do some 1 day "challenge" races. For those who might be familiar with the 94.7 (94.7km/59miles), Amashova (106km/66miles), Argus type of events.

As I don't want to give up this wonderful sport I was wondering which races would be good for my level (comparable to the races mentioned earlier), when and where these similar events take place?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Cybergrinder | 8 years ago
0 likes

@Comrade, that is dead giveaway that you used to (or still do) ride in SA!  1 Via another forum (unrelated to cycling) I heard that other countries in Europe have heard how bad SA drivers are...

Looking froward to riding on roads with more considerate drivers that those in "Gansta's Paradise" (for those who don't know, number plates in Gauteng have GP at the end ;))

Comrade | 8 years ago
0 likes

You will see comments on this site about the "terrible" British drivers, however, you will be pleasantly surprised compared to drivers in Gauteng!

Cybergrinder | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Al, I don't worry about snobs, when you have 2 young kids the "weekend warrior" & sportives are about the only way I can get time in for rides  3 it's what works for me. I'll start looking for events once I've settled down in the UK.

Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes

There's absolutely loads of Sportives - though almost all are held on open roads due to the (mainly political) problems of closing roads. They're officially not "races", though most have chip-based timing. They generally consist of an HQ with a large car park, route signing and some marshalling at key points and a few feed stations. 

There are some one here are rather snobby towards them and even get angry about their very existence, because apparently people doing Sportives are doing cycling wrong or something.

Spotives often have multiple route options, there's almost always a 60-ish mile option

There's a small number of closed road events - Ride London-Surrey 100, Velothon Wales, Tour of Cambridgeshire, Etape Caledonia (any more?) which are enormously popular and massively over subscribed.

Generally longer but usually slower and much cheaper are Audaxes, which don't have route signing, relying on route cards/maps and an orienteering-style brevet card to prove where you've been and record your time.

Latest Comments