Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Training in bad weather

Hi all,

Just wondering how you all plan your training in the winter, and specifically how often you get outside to ride? Do you commit to one day a week or are you always checking the weather looking for the best day like me!?! And yes I know all about Rule V!

cheers guys

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

arfa | 8 years ago
0 likes

If it's icy I don't ride (on road). In all other bad conditions I substitute the mountain bike in and the extra resistance helps improve the fitness on the commute. I also tend to ride more off road in Autumn due to not liking gunk covered roads (leaves, foliage etc) and enjoy the variety it provides. I only really return to road riding when the frosts are over as I generally ride first thing in the morning.

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

No commuting for me in Winter.

Week night rollers, Sunday bash in 'most' weathers. 

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Daily commute with around trip of 19 miles 5 days a week, regardless of the weather, so that hail, rain, sleet, snow or blow nothing is going to stop me. The stonger the wind the harder the workout I get. Then its a metris century once a month and any other ride I can fit in with my family commitments at the weekend. This has certainly gotten me fit over the past three years of this regime. yes

Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

4 days a week, commuting to work on the cyclocross all year round. So that's 83 miles done by Friday. Then I do another 35-40 miles on a Sunday morning. My bike has mudguards and I have a good coat, so I'm not fussed if its wet. I do all my own maintaining so its dirt cheap to change chains/cassettes/cables. If its icy, which is very rare, I ride a mountain bike instead, with lower pressure tyres. I basically do this all year round.

Lamb Henry | 8 years ago
0 likes

I tend to ride outside on Wednesday night and Sunday Morning  whatever the weather with the local club. If it is too dangerous (icy or very windy), I then either ride the mountain bike or commute to work (38 miles round trip) on a different good wetaher day to make up for it. As a last resort I use the Rollers, used them once this autum/winter so far.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

60 to 130 miles on the turbo per week, Don't train on road in winter. Bike stays clean I train more often and better. No danger!

MattEdd | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lots of Turbo sessions in the week, generally 3 - 4 weeknights, then trying to get out on the weekends but failing miserably at the moment with the windy weather we've had.  I have Friday off this week, no rain, less wind so I'll be out then to see if the turbo is paying off  1

Latest Comments