Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

On One Pickenflick

HI,  

I'm looking at buying a Pickenflick as a cross and commuter/winter bike, already have a spare set of wheels for the duties. The main question is, with 28mm road tryes, is it a good commuter/winter bike? Just a bit sceptical due to the geometry being more cross.

Does anyone have one and would they recommend it?

Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

devoid99 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If this is the same frame layout as the old px dirty disco (which I bought for commuting) they are generally shipped with the cx rims which go well with 700 x 35 tyres but would do equally well with 700 x 28 as an on road commuter.  

If you use something like the conti cross speed they are fast rolling on road and on tracks with and without load, pretty comfy aswell.  I used those last winter, all good even on frozen pavement.  Did have the odd puncture from glass shards, but I did take a path I probably should have avoided. 

Only downsides are tough to find mudguards which fit well.  I went with a bottom tube guard (nervous about fitting certain guard to the front wheel) and an SKS raceblade XL on the back (still can catch a bit).

This year I'm going to try conti 4 seasons 700 x 28, be a bit more organised leaving stuff at work to avoid a backpack every time and only switch on the 35's if the weather gets really bad or I want to go off road.

Jez Ash | 8 years ago
0 likes

Depends on what you want, but I'd be looking for something I could fit proper mudguards to.  If they added fittings for guards and a rear rack, they'd already have my money.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The stack is more relaxed than my CXR, reach is about the same, so I would expect it would be a good option for a relaxing ride.

Latest Comments