Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter Commuting Jacket

Hello!

Background: I have a rather short commute into the studio each morning and have to pass a pair of schools, a few unreasonable junctions and also navigate various "traffic-calming" (driver angering) pieces of road furniture... I use a good set of lights that keep me highly visible and also engage a healthy dose of common sense when it comes to drivers rushing to get their kids to school/get to work/kill a cyclist/eat their breakfast whilst driving/make that important phone call - (delete as appropriate).

Problem: I'm a pretty confident rider (...if I do say so myself) and have my wits about me when it comes to traffic/lunatics, but I can't help feeling vulnerable sometimes as I'm cycling along and indicating (hand-out) to turn right and certain cars (the same ones almost every day!) insist on dangerously overtaking me, even if I'm in the primary position or there are cars approaching!

Solution: This is where you guys come in... I want to get a new jacket to commute in. Something that will keep me dry on the way to work but also make sure even those paying the least amount of attention will be able to see me. I think I have found the right jacket, but before splashing out, I want opinions/thoughts and to see if you guys had any better suggestions.

Product: Hump Strobe Cycling Jacket 

//www.madisonb2b.co.uk/netalogue/300dpi/hvj0013.jpg)

The back is super reflective too...

//i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTExMlg5MDA=/z/wZsAAOSwd0BV6JiP/$_57.JPG)

Pros:

• Highly visable
  • Waterproof
  • Different to the standard dayglow yellow

Cons:

• No local retailers

Over to you... Happy to take any suggestions. I know that a jacket will not make the car drives change their ways, but it would be good to feel that little bit more visible whilst they are hoon'ing around me!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

arfa | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Phil, I don't want to sound trite here but it sounds like a jacket is not going to solve your problems and a different route or timing would be a better suggestion. There is not much worse than the school run when it comes to people driving badly with all its distractions. For what it's worth, I was hit when hi vizzed all over and strobing lights on during the day: there is no protection against drivers not paying attention.
Other than that, maybe have a look at the proviz jacket but it does need light shone on it to light up.
Good luck.

Simon E replied to arfa | 8 years ago
0 likes

arfa wrote:

Hi Phil, I don't want to sound trite here but it sounds like a jacket is not going to solve your problems and a different route or timing would be a better suggestion.

+1.

The only thing that will keep you safe in that environment is a Chelsea tractor of your own, or maybe a police uniform with 'Firearms Unit' across it in big letters.

Latest Comments