Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano/ Sram compatibility

Can Shimano/ Sram groupsets play nicely together.  

Specifically, can I pop a wheel with Sram Red disc brake rotors and 11spd cassette onto a bike with Shimano Ultegra disc brakes, derailleurs and chain (again 11spd)?

Thanks in anticipation.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes

10 & 11 speed road chains are entirely interchangeable, you could happily shove a Camapg chain on an SRAM rear and Shimano front mech.

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

any other experiences much appreciated

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think they are pretty straight.  More a question of whether they have had a quirky/ weird/ unrepresentative problem, or is there likely to be an issue.

The specific swap I would be looking at would be putting a Sram cassette into an otherwise all Ultegra bike.

severs1966 | 8 years ago
0 likes

People have been using SRAM chains (i.e. Sachs-Sedis chains) on Shimano groupsets for many years. There is no problem, except that the bike shop may want to sell you a Shimano chain because it costs more and lasts a shorter time, so there is more money to be made.

I don't know about Shimano chains on SRAM cogs though.

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

that's what I have read elsewhere, but my LBS say they have had problems in the past with people trying to run Shimano chains on SRAM cassettes or vice versa.

mike the bike replied to rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

rjfrussell wrote:

that's what I have read elsewhere, but my LBS say they have had problems in the past with people trying to run Shimano chains on SRAM cassettes or vice versa.

As has already been said, the two brands of chain and cassette are interchangeable.  I know a couple of experienced riders who use SRAM chains on their otherwise Shimano equipped bikes as they believe they last much longer.  

Is it possible, do you think, that the LBS has a keen interest in selling chains and cassettes?

But swapping disc wheels from frame to frame is much more problematic.  If you are lucky a little readjustment will see you through but it could require more serious fiddling with calliper mounts.  This is one reason why some pro' teams are sceptical about discs in the peloton; the neutral service cars won't carry wheels for all the differing bikes in the race.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sram and shimano are interchangeable

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments