Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ride or replace?

Whilst cleaning my bike today I discoved a tear in the tyre about 5mm long. I took the tyre off to find it does go all the way through the tyre with a hole about 2-3 mm long on the inside.

Photo

There is still plenty of life left in the tyre. Is this sort of damage safe to ride?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

Replace but keep it after a patch up. Bond a normal tube repair patch on the inside and then super glue the tear together.

Hang in the bike store as an emergency back up (only to be used if you get a major tyre failure and need to use the bike). Use a puncture repair crayon to mark the tyre as emergency use only. 

Also, don't throw tyres away. A couple of them taped together provide great frame protection when transporting your bike. Particularly good if you transport your bike with club mates in a van or for padding out a bike box.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
1 like

Murphys law say it will fail in the most inconvenient and unpleasant situation. Warm house at leisure is recommended  1

Shades | 8 years ago
0 likes

Depends on how much risk you want to take and how much you enjoy repairing punctures by the roadside in winter.  I was cycling down lanes to work yesterday in the apocalyptic aftermath of Storm Barney (or whatever it was called) thinking the last thing I needed was a puncture.  Personally, I'd replace the tyre.  Someone else might have some advice on a 'trick' to patch the hole up a bit.

Latest Comments