Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling routes in West Sussex

i have am new to cycling only be riding about 6 months do any one know off any good cycling routes around the west sussex area

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I live in Steyning and commute to Storrington, spooky!  Have you had a chance to discover the quiet routes to Petworth yet?  You can go through West Chiltington towards Pulborough, although I can't think of a quiet route on to Petworth from there.  

I used to ride through Parham House a lot, but they seem to be anti-bikes now and the gates are often locked.  You can go along Greatham Lane to Coldwaltham (although it floods badly near CW and can be impassible at times) and then on to either Fittleworth and Petworth or you can hug the bottom of the Downs via Bignor and come out near Duncton.  

Bignor Hill is an absolute killer, the steepest lower section I have done in Sussex and Surrey. The surface is also a bit flaky so maintaining traction is tough.  

I love it just beyond Petworth.  Lurgashall is a gorgeous village; if you go to Tillington and then turn right on to Upperton Rd it is a tiny quiet country road and comes out at Lurgashall.  It's so tiny I would advise caution on the downhills and corners, there isn't a lot of room for a car and a bike to pass.  Just beyond Lurgashall is Black Down, the highest point in Sussex and another good climb.

The Surrey Hills are a 2 hour ride away, worth a ride on a nice day.  Classic hills including Leigh Hill Whitedown Barhatch Lane to name a few, lots of other cyclists around too.

Ditchling as someone said is worth a trip; it takes me an hour from Steyning so would be a good 90 mins from Storrington.  The route there isn't obvious, most of the main roads run north to south.  The A272 does go cross country but is busy and I would avoid it in the week and at rush hour.  You'd be ok at 7 am on the weekend, but it is quite a way north of the Beacon.  To get there, go to Steyning  round the back to Ashington via Warminghurst (another lovely tiny country road) then Spithandle Lane then go through Steyning to avoid the bypass.  Then on through Beeding and to Edburton/Fulking/Poyning.  The cycle route into Brighton goes beside the A23 and there are a couple of points you can get over the dual carriageway near Pyecombe.  Then over Clayton Hill, and just at the bottom there is Underhill Lane which drops you off at the bottom of Ditchling.

I would disagree with Larry about the SDW being not technical!  This time of year especially with the combination of mud & leaves it can be extremely technical.  There are some flat-ish parts but bank on going up and down very often.  Some of the climbs are rutted from heavy rain so they get large chunks of flint and rock as well as other things to keep you concentrating.  I used to think a hard tail MTB was good enough, but would love a full susser now.  A friend rides some of it on a hybrid but he is also looking at an MTB.  Other friends have found it very hard on cx bikes; with the wrong tyres one had 3 punctures in about 20 minutes, the last of which ripped his tyre up.

There are some less extreme off road routes, the Downslink runs from Shoreham up to Guildford.  Some of it is lovely, but some of it is boring - it's an old railway line, so there are long stretches in old cuttings which just do my head in.  Near Partridge Green is Stan's cafe which is becoming a real meeting point for both road and off road cyclists.

I could go on!

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

Get out and explore!  Amazing the number of little roads and lanes we have discovered round Tunbridge Wells/ Crowborough and wider area since started cycling.  If you work on the principle that at any junction you take the narrower road you will soon find yourself on roads you have never driven on.

You can then start piecing them together to form loops of different lengths.

The club suggestion is good too.

Also, if you use the route generators such as bikehub, and go for the quietest route option, you will find some good rides (just check that they are all on-road-  many of those route generators have footpaths in their mapping).

LarryDavidJr | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well you are smack bang in the middle of the south downs, a prime place for some great cycling.  Theres the south downs way if you want to stay off the roads (it's just a trail, mostly suitable for hybrids and CX bikes as well as MTB) not a technically taxing kind of off road.  Loads of fantastic views, but plenty of steep climbs!

On the road, well it's all around you in West and East Sussex.  Again, if you stick in the south downs area, just ride round the minor roads there, theres plenty of them and you'll see loads of other cyclists out, especially on a Sunday.  Exploring is one of the best parts of it in my opinion!

Strava's heatmap might give you some ideas.  As others have suggested joining a local cycling club might be good too, or, sometimes they put their routes up on a website so you can always pinch 'em and try them out for yourself  first  1

I'd invite you out but I'm one of those East Sussex types y'see  3

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have just looked on Google maps, you are just down the road from Ditchling Beacon.  Looking at the map, there are literally hundreds of country lanes to pick from.  What a nice area to live for cycling.  Join a local club and go out on thier novice rides. this club isnt too far from you

http://www.horshamcycling.co.uk/

NeilG83 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Simon, I have a cycling map of Sussex that I bought when I was on holiday there a couple of years ago. It includes the National cycle routes in the area, as well as other cycle paths and several circular routes including some in storrington & petworth area. You are very welcome to have it as I am unlikely to use it again. Not sure if there is a way to give me your address privately on here, but let me know if you would like me to send it to you. 

simonhunter59 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I am in storrington. Most of the time I commute to Petworth for work work.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Simon, there are loads! Whereabouts are you? Will put some route ideas up tomorrow - on the phone now, so it's tricky. Lots of tiny country roads, plenty of hills, sea side paths, great pubs...

Latest Comments